Monday, April 3, 2023

God's Timeline Not Mine

"But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." - 2 Peter 3:8

Do you ever wish that God would be more timely? I mean when you need Him to do something that you think needs to be done when it needs to be done? I can remember having a conversation with my mom some years ago. She asked, "Do you think that Don remembers me?" Don was my step-dad and spiritual father who had passed some years prior. Remembering 2 Peter 3:8 I went to work on an Excel spreadsheet. Starting with the fact that one day in heaven is equivalent to 365,000 days on earth (yes I am a literal interpreter of that passage), I calculated that one day in heaven is 8,760,000 hours or 525,600,000 minutes on earth. I am sure you are starting to get my point on the disparity on time between heaven and earth.  So I told my mom that Don had only been in Heaven for about 11 minutes and I doubt that he was thinking about anything but the glory of where he was. Although the Bible says there will be no marriage in heaven (Matthew 22:30) and that is why we say "until death do us part", but I was certain that Don had not forgotten her. (I would not be surprised that some of you will be checking my numbers. Let me know if you get a different answer)

Ok so my point. God operates on a different timeline than we do. We all have a notion or preference about how things should go with respect to time and our benefit. We want to see things happen the way we want them to happen and when we want them to happen. Are you familiar with "just in time inventory"? That is where supplies show up just when you need them reducing the need a lot of storage space. Well, we serve a "just in time" God. He shows up exactly when He is supposed to. Different from "just in time inventory" which arrives when we choose. A "just in time" God arrives when He thinks best to suit His purposes and it is always for our eternal good. We might not think so, but it is true!

"The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." - Proverbs 16:9

Martie and I are on God's schedule. Oh, we don't like it some times. It requires us to have faith, to be patient and trusting. But sometimes we get a little antsy. I guess it is rooted in a concern that we somehow missed God when He showed up or worse, we are not where God wants us to be.  It is hard to tell the difference sometimes, but then we hear the still small voice. 

"And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a still, small voice." - 1 Kings 19:11-13

To hear that Voice we must be listening closely.  We must be looking to God and not ourselves. So like they would say in the CB radio days, "You got your ears on good buddy?" I hope so!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone




No comments: