Sunday, April 9, 2023

All That Remains

 "So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died." - Genesis 5:5

Reading the internet news recently, I saw a clip about authorities finding the remains of a woman who had been missing for some time. All that was left of her were her remains - that which had not returned to dust. We recently listened to a series of sermons from the first 11 chapters of Genesis. In the early centuries of the history of mankind, people lived very long lives. This devotion is not so much about death, why we don't live as long but about life. What it is about is the fact like Adam and that woman, one day, our lives on this planet will end - all that will physically remain is that which does not return to the dust.  Unless Jesus returns first. 

"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment" - Hebrews 9:27

Martie and I are at the point in our lives where people in our generation are passing, to include our siblings and friends. We all live like we will see another sunrise. But, the fact of the matter is, we may not. In the past two months we have been notified of a number of friends who have passed away. Their unexpected passing has given me pause to reflect on both their lives and mine. Each of them has left a spiritual legacy. A legacy that reaches far beyond the boundaries of their extended families. The truth of the matter is that for each, including me, few will remember our names in the years to come, perhaps beyond asking, "I wonder what ever happened to so and so" when our name comes to mind for some reason.

Don Moen wrote a song which seems appropriate called, "When It's All Been Said And Done."

"When it's all been said and done. There is just one thing that matters Did I do my best to live for truth? Did I live my life for you?

When it's all been said and done All my treasures will mean nothing Only what I've done for love's reward Will stand the test of time"

The question I am posing here is this. "Not am I living in fear of my eventual death, but am I living as if there is an eternity in heaven waiting for me?" and more "Am I living in such a way that I am communicating that truth to a world that has no hope - they can expect only judgement and eternal separation from the God who created us?" Will I leave a spiritual legacy when not much of this body remains.

Almost every week, I learn that someone has been reading these posts and I didn't know it. Not that my knowing is important, we do not know where the seeds we cast will fall. I told a friend yesterday that posting these devotions is like shooting an arrow into the air. He had commented that he liked the devotion I had written the day before.  I was not aware or had forgotten that he was reading them. You may not know where what you say or do for the Kingdom will land, but it will land somewhere. Did you do your best to live for truth? Did you live your life for God's glory?

It is really not necessary for me to know where it lands for me to obey the prompting of the Spirit to do or say something. Obeying the prompting of the Spirit should not be conditional. Like I will only say or do something if I can see the result that I want. For example, "I will tell someone about Jesus at the prompting of the Spirit, or without it, if they will pray to receive Christ at that moment." As if their salvation is based upon me and not their own faith. As if sharing the plan of salvation is like some incantation. And if they don't respond the way I expect or hope then somehow I have failed. My true failure is when I resist the leading of the Spirit. It is God who brings the spiritual increase, not me.

"So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase." - 1 Corinthians 3:7

So what does this have to do with death and dying? Whatever generation you are part of will eventually pass. We all have been given a season of life to live on this planet. As Christians we also have been given a purpose and place in the Body of Christ. Your eternity in heaven is secured by your faith, but at the same time, each of us has been given opportunity to let our light shine in a world unaware that it is headed for hell. Because of recent events, I have been reminded of that and I am writing so that you might be as well. "Only what you've done for love's reward will stand the test of time"

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: