Sunday, February 5, 2023

What You Can and Cannot Control In Life

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23

We have been experiencing no small amount of adversity as we press forward with what we are confident is the calling of God. In the face or should I say the midst of it, a thought occurred to me. "I may not be able to control what happens to me/us, but I can control how I respond to what happens to me/us." (Charley Elgin) Read through the fruit of the Spirit again. It is the description of the life of the Christian walking by the Spirit of God. Submitted to His leading. When "life" lands on his doorstep he/she responds with peace, patience and self control. That would be your spiritual self control that is born out of the presence of the Spirit and not your human effort to obey what the Bible says. So you might say control that is born out of yielding to the Spirit and not to the flesh.

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." - James 1:2-4

James says that trials test our faith - uh - yeah! and that testing when experienced while submitted to the Spirit yields patience.  In fact it seems that enduring trials are a necessary part of our spiritual shaping.  Hopefully this will give you a different perspective on the trouble that will surely come your way.

"Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God." - Psalm 42:11

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: