Friday, February 17, 2023

Reaching For Spiritual Maturity

"But I [Paul], brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ.  I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, for you are still of the flesh. For while there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not of the flesh and behaving only in a human way" - 1 Corinthians 3:1-3

I sued to speak at churches quite a bit when I was with Promise Keepers ministry. I would say that I wish I could give everyone spiritual glasses so they could see Christians as they really are. Maturity wise. Some with white hair would be in diapers sucking on a bottle. Some younger would be mature adults. Well, needless to say, that did not go over very well.  I can say that I was never invited back to any of those churches. If you have read my BLOG for any time you know that I have never learned to not say what the Spirit lays on my heart.

When a person matures naturally, it is a biological process.  Their bodies change over time. But even though their bodies change it does not mean that they can function independently, have wisdom and self control. In a similar way, Christians may look back to the day they were saved - some years back and think of themselves as having matured. But maturity for a Christian means that they are more God-dependent. They reflect Jesus in the way they live their lives. Their life choices are consistent with the teachings in the Bible.

Not growing up as a Christian, Martie and I were 26 when we were born again, I was surprised to hear testimonies of many 20 somethings describing a season after leaving their family home where they fell away from the faith. My conclusion was that while at home, they lived under the umbrella of their parents faith but once out of the nest they had to "fly" on their own faith. Struggling at first. Perhaps even fluttering to the ground for a moment, they soon got their wings. 

Being a mature Christian does not mean perfection, but it does mean spiritual growth and a consistent and persistent reliance on God as our Provider - Jesus as the Way and Truth and Life - the Spirit as the source of our strength, our Teacher, and Guide - the Word of God as the measure of how we should then live.  Oh that I could arrive while my feet are still planted on terra firma but the truth is that I will not reach my goal until the day I see Jesus face to face.

"I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you." - Philippians 3:13-15

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: