Thursday, February 9, 2023

A Friend In Need Is

"And He said to them, “Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within and say, ‘Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you’?  I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs. Luke 11:5-8

There is a difference between being a friend and being friendly.  Actually, in life, we have few "friends". People who are more like family than people you like to be around.  People who, although being inconvenienced, are willing to be a help in time of need.  I am certain you have heard the saying, " A friend in need is a friend indeed." Catching phrase. Frankly I had not thought it through for many years. Like the man who was awakened in the middle of the night in Luke chapter 11.  It was not a convenient time but his friend was in need so he helped him. Why because he was his friend.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you." - John 15:13-14

Jesus said the greatest expression of love is to sacrifice for a friend. Time, money, compassion, companionship. Walking through the difficulties of life with someone. I was talking with my daughter about this the other day.  So many people have said they wanted to help in some way, but when the time came, "crickets".  I am supposing they saw the offer as being the "good thing" and had no intention of actually doing it. It is not about feeling good about yourself for even thinking good thoughts towards someone. Laying you life down means that you actually are going to do it.

"A person of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24

We all know many people who are friendly. Being friendly doesn't cost you anything and even makes you feel good. But being a friend - well that can be very costly. There are few who are willing to pay the price. The question for each of is, I suppose, is "What kind of friend am I?" The friendship I have been referring to has spiritual roots. Born from our love for God and love for others. Willing to bear the burdens of other.

"Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." - Galatians 6:2

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone





No comments: