Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Walk By The Spirit

"So I [Paul] say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." - Galatians 5:16

My basic goal in writing these devotions is to encourage you to think about your faith and your role in this magnificent story of life. We all must have our heads on a swivel, as we used to say in the Army. Being spiritually aware of what is happening around you.

You may not read all of these posts or read them at all. But I hope that seeing them pop-up on Facebook makes you think about the Lord and not me. Life is demanding on our time.  We are constantly making choices about what we will and won't do. My encouragement is to choose well. There are certain "must do's" in life. Like work or school or some other activity that you cannot negotiate on. I hope that time with the Lord is one of those as well. Very often the "must do's" in our lives come in direct conflict with our "prefer to do's". "Do I go to church or sleep in?"

We must be spiritually aware as we travel on this earthly road. I was thinking about my time in Vietnam. I was a 19 year old radio operator with MAC-V Advisory Team 68 in the Mekong Delta. I would often go on patrols with a Lieutenant and a Vietnamese platoon.  We always had a Kit Carson Scout with us. Think Indian scout with the Cavalry. These guys had been the enemy at one time, Viet Cong or VC, but had been repatriated. As we would walk on a trail in the rice paddy tree lines, the Scout would say - don't step there.  I didn't see anything, but he did.  It might have been a punji stake, a trip wire with a hand grenade ( a poor man's IED) or maybe a rigged artillery shell. His eyes were trained to see the danger.  Mine were not. I paid attention!  Well, that is what it is like for us Christians. There are dangers that our untrained eyes cannot see. We all need to be told to "not step there!" 

"[Paul] making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened" - Ephesians 1:16-17

We need spiritual eyesight as we walk by the Spirit. You might think of me, and others who encourage the Saints, as Kit Carson Scouts.  

Be mindful of who you are in Christ and the life you have been called to live. Discipleship is important - maintaining a close relationship with the Lord is more important." And that takes effort.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



 

No comments: