Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Finding Value In Others

"Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself." - Galatians 6:2-3

I was in Home Depot the other morning shopping with my daughter. While she was having a spare key made, an older gentlemen, meaning older than me, walked up next to us and mentioned that he was looking for batteries. A younger women, in her 50's, was with him. She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and said "C'mon pops" to the man and they walked off. It wasn't long and the man was back. We chatted about how hard it was to find things, but there were plenty of things that catch you eye while you are "on the hunt" (It is my contention that men don't shop, they hunt. - See it, tag it, bag it and leave. Now that is a successful day at the store!) It was a nice chat. Well the woman showed back up, took him in tow and walked off. We could hear him say, "I was having a conversation with them." 

When the woman rolled her eyes, I made the decision that, given the opportunity, I would talk with him again.  I was keenly aware that his daughter, I suppose, loved here dad, but had lost confidence in him. Treating him more like a child than an adult. Perhaps for good reasons that were not apparent to me during our brief interchange on Home Depot marketing strategies.  But it brought something else to mind. While we talked, I was talking to an adult not a child. I could see a glint in his eyes and a smile came to his face. 

When I talk to people, particularly older people, I have decided that I need to speak to their strengths and not their weaknesses. We all have both. Careful not to be patronizing. I think that when you speak to their strengths, you stir something inside them that was perhaps dormant - maybe untouched by caregivers - who may only be looking at their weaknesses. We need to help them be active participants in life and not seem that sitting at the bus stop waiting for the inevitable "last bus ride".

So Galatians 6:2 came to mind. Bear one another's burdens. Certainly help people in their weakness and need, but we can help them by engaging what strengths might remain. Honor their lives and who they are. I can imagine myself in the days ahead - being seen as old (hmm I might already be there!)  But acknowledged as an active part of humanity - up to and including my last breath - the last beat of my heart. 

My point to all of this, is to encourage you to look for opportunities to speak "life" into people. To look beyond the exterior and see the spirit - the heart of the people you meet. To be kind and don't jump to conclusions. You might just be surprised.

[I] "urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love" - Ephesians 4:1-2

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: