Wednesday, January 13, 2021

It Is Not Our Voice, But The Spirit’s That Brings Understanding

Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls—Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer’s feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills. – Habakkuk 3:17-19

<Journal Entry 11 August 2011> It does not matter what may fail us – we will rejoice in the Lord, He is our strength. People really are the same everywhere.  One of the workers needed a shovel – pel – but because I didn’t know what it was – he said it louder.  Maybe I was hard of hearing – I don’t think it occurred to him that I did not speak Creole. So he made a shoveling movement with his hands and arms – Oh! Shovel! Communication is a wonderful thing when it happens. Not being able to communicate can be very frustrating.  Sitting here munching on my beef jerky (thank you daughter- Audrey) drinking my lukewarm – electrolyte loaded Culligan water – (thank you Doug Moyer and John Turnbull for the electrolyte tablets) I already went through the ones I really liked.  It is very hot again today – cho anpil. <End of Entry>

Being in a foreign country I had to remind myself that it was me and not them that had the communication problem. Funny how we think that others should accommodate us.  Thank the Lord for translators! But, as I transcribed that story from my Haiti devotional notes, I was reminded of the great communication problem that Christians have – no matter what language is spoken in the country in which they find themselves. We are referred to as sojourners. The world is not our home – we are just-a passin’ through as the old Gospel song goes. As such we speak a different language -  one filled with Spiritual truth.

Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom.” – 1 Corinthians 1:20-22

Don’t expect the culture you live in to understand or embrace spiritual truth – it is impossible to understand and to embrace it for a lost person is like trying to hug a porcupine. Not going to happen so long as their hearts are not surrendered by faith in Jesus and inhabited – sealed by the Spirit of God. So why are we continued to be perplexed by their rejection? I guess because we hope somehow contrary to God’s Word, they will get it and embrace it – quills or not. But truth is truth. You can quote me on that! And speaking louder will not help them understand any better.

Shine Bright my friend and glorify God with your life.  

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: