Tuesday, January 5, 2021

You Are Not Alone

O Lord, God of my salvation, I have cried out day and night before You. Let my prayer come before You; Incline Your ear to my cry. For my soul is full of troubles, And my life draws near to the grave. I am counted with those who go down to the pit; I am like a man who has no strength, Adrift among the dead, Like the slain who lie in the grave, Whom You remember no more, And who are cut off from Your hand.” – Psalm 88:1-5

In July 2011 I had gone ahead of Martie to Jacmel, Haiti to organize to begin the construction of the first orphanage in Jacmel. There was an RV on the property and I was sleeping in it at night – the only American on the compound – Martie was still in the States. 

<Journal Entry 30 July 2011> Sometimes it feels like we are on our own.  That God has turned His ear away from us. This is a reflective time for me – we [Martie and I] are turning a page. It makes me wish I was 20 years younger. The enemy is just around the corner – crouching – waiting – Lord be my strength – that the helmet of salvation would protect my mind. The breastplate of righteousness would guard my heart would shore me up and make me ready for spiritual battles that were ahead of me. Your Spirit will be my strength and resolve for this time.<End of Entry>

It seems like I always want to be twenty years younger. I was 61 when I wrote those words. Now I am 70 – thinking the same thing – It is a common failure on my part and perhaps yours.  Looking at the ability of the flesh in the context of what the Lord has called me to do. That is typically the first response of most Christians. What God calls us to do is to respond to Him in faith. The substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.  (Heb 11:1) His calling might be as simple as living a sanctified life in an unholy world – we often try to live that life on the strength of our will and not the Spirit of God. Or, it may be that you are called to Haiti or some other venture that requires you to put all you know and perhaps own, at risk to serve others. So you yield to the call and submit to His leading. Then doubt enters in when you encounter difficulties. You look to your abilities and feint at the thought that you cannot possibly do what you have committed to. And you will be absolutely right.

I was asked to do the impossible in Haiti, but it required total surrender to God for it to happen. I was mocked – resisted – undermined – challenged – given every reason to say “It is not worth it, it is too hard, the Lord has asked too much of me” and give up. God always calls us to do more than we can do on our own. What He tells us to do – no matter how mundane – always requires faith and trust in Him. There are times when it seems that we are abandoned – but we are not.

So he [Elijah] arose, and ate and drank; and he went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights as far as Horeb, the mountain of God. And there he went into a cave, and spent the night in that place; and behold, the word of the Lord came to him, and He said to him, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’ So he said, ‘I have been very zealous for the Lord God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life.’” – 1 Kings 19:8-10

The Lord went on to tell Elijah that he was not alone. That there were 7000 that Elijah did not know about that had not bent their knees to Baal. That was true in 2011 and it is true today.  It may seem like you are alone and the country your thought you knew is crumbling around you. That you are alone and God is not listening. Neither of those things are true. There are thousands who have place their trust in the Lord. Christians are always a minority – it is just that today we are facing adversity – not too far from persecution because following God and embracing the Word as truth means that we will be at odds with a culture that does neither of those things. Like Elijah.

I could share many verses from the Bible that reinforce that truth. But I won’t. I will tell you that we serve a God who is there and who is faithful and who is listening. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your body, and strength to your bones.” – Proverbs 3:5-8

Shine Bright my friend and glorify God with your life.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: