Monday, January 25, 2021

Sit - Walk - Stand

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season…” – Psalm 1:1-3

<Journal Entry 15 Sep 2011> So – the clock is ticking – all I can do is be steady and let God be God – yes, I am lead here – but I serve Jesus – sounds like I am an independent spirit – maybe I am – but I know my Lord and I know my place – Talking to a volunteer I see someone who cares about people – he struggles with perspective – he is too impressed with himself (drinking all those bottles of water) It’s pretty hot today. My goal is to get the Pantry framed and maybe the end of the Kitchen – then we will be ready for screen and plywood – then the dorms – then the bathrooms – then the kids – oh the drainage ditch – got to get it done. Time to get up and get after it – Jonas ( a Haitian helper) likes long lunches I think. <End of Entry>

When you find yourself outside of the boat on the waters of faith – you become very aware that what you are doing is beyond you. A saying that I have heard and seen recently is “Faith or Fear” having to do specifically with the COVID pandemic.  It is a statement but also a question. And it is really a good question – for everything in life. Do we trust God or trust ourselves. You don’t have to be in a third world country to be challenged in life – there are plenty of opportunities to choose to either trust God or yourself every day, right where you live. It really requires no less faith.  Whether it is an issue of surviving the threat of COVID or choosing faithfulness to who we are in Christ versus bending to the pressures of our culture or our own old nature. Our new life requires faith. Faith requires that we maintain our devotion and focus on the Lord.

Watchman Nee, a Chinese Christian scholar, evangelist and author, and martyr wrote a number of books that proved useful in shaping my faith and encouraging my growth. One of which is Sit, Walk, Stand -  a book on Ephesians. I bring that up because I am looking at a picture that is above my desk of Jesus giving counsel to a 20th century man in an office painted by Harry Anderson. The quote beneath the painting from Psalm 1 is under the picture. Walking, standing and sitting – sitting, walking and standing – it is like Psalm 1 tells us what we should not do and Ephesians tells us what we should do. I would encourage you to read the book by Watchman Nee – The Normal Christian Life is another. But more than that, I would encourage you to Sit, and rest, in your position in Christ; Walk out your new life in the world; and so Stand against your spiritual Enemy.

Be encouraged. Shine Bright my friend and give God the glory He is due.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: