Thursday, January 28, 2021

Don’t Take The Credit When You Walk On The Water

For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. For in fact the body is not one member but many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. And if they were all one member, where would the body be?” – 1 Corinthians 12:12-19

<Journal Entry Jacmel Haiti 30 Sep 2011> Here we are on the eve of the culmination of my 2 + months in Jacmel – my involvement is about to be eclipsed by the arrival of the orphans – the orphanage staff is coming with more frequency – I am starting to get in the way – so I must move aside for those who will bring Espwa Timoun Yo (Children’s Hope) to its fullest purpose – our place has always been ministry enablement – I sometimes look at that as if it something less than what others do for the kingdom. To say everyone should have the same ministry would be in error – the word is clear on that – one Body many parts – I don’t have a clue what the guys are doing this morning – maybe they don’t either! Hope the rumblé (fill dirt) shows up today. Well it is off to the races! Gentlemen start your engines! <End of Entry>

Have you ever felt that you were something less than other Believers when comparing your gifts or service? It is a natural thing to do.  We can acknowledge that God created us for His purpose, but have a difficult time accepting the fact that our role is, well inconsequential from a temporal or eternal point of view. There are two possibilities, I think. One is that we have not yielded to God’s call and purpose. Having been called but believing that we cannot possibly do what God has put before us. The second, that we are not satisfied with the plow to which God has put our hands. We think that we should be more than we are.  We are envious of what others do. Both are a product of our carnal thinking. The first is lack of faith and the second is pride and jealousy. These excerpts from my journal represent truly significant acts of God and my day to day struggle with keeping proper perspective. My struggle with keeping spiritual perspective.

I may have shared this before – a prominent Haitian pastor would often visit the worksite. Near the beginning he asked me when the building would be complete. I responded, “October first”. He laughed and said “Nothing happens quickly in Haiti!” To which I replied, “Pastor, Sarah laughed!” and said no more. There are always people who will cast doubt on the possibility of the impossible happening.  All they can see are the hurdles the world puts in front of us. They don’t acknowledge the mighty God who is at work. Perhaps because of their small faith – they are sceptics.  I was well aware that what I has trying to do was impossible or at best improbable.  When I was asked to do the work and was told when it needed to be done, my reply was, “The only way that will happen is if God is in it.”  Well, it did happen. There is a lot more to the story, but to the point – my involvement in establishing that ministry in Haiti is all but forgotten. The question is – does that matter – really. Our tendency is to embrace the accolades for something the God has done through us. I tell people that the only thing that I can or should take credit for is saying “yes” to God. The rest was all Him. If I have any abilities, intelligence, spiritual gifts – they all come from the Creator God. God should receive all of the glory for any accomplishment. So you see – when we doubt or when we envy – we sin – we miss the mark – God’s intent and will are subverted.

“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.” – Matthew 6:1-2

Be encouraged. Walk by faith. Be willing to step out of the boat. Shine Bright my friend and give God the glory He is due.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: