Thursday, October 20, 2016

Living Like You Were Set Apart For God's Purpose - Because You Are

My Utmost For His Highest
 
This is the will of God, your sanctification… —1 Thessalonians 4:3
 
“Sanctification is not a question of whether God is willing to sanctify me— is it my will? Am I willing to let God do in me everything that has been made possible through the atonement of the Cross of Christ? Am I willing to let Jesus become sanctification to me, and to let His life be exhibited in my human flesh? (see 1 Corinthians 1:30). Beware of saying, “Oh, I am longing to be sanctified.” No, you are not. Recognize your need, but stop longing and make it a matter of action. Receive Jesus Christ to become sanctification for you by absolute, unquestioning faith, and the great miracle of the atonement of Jesus will become real in you.[…] Sanctification makes me one with Jesus Christ, and in Him one with God, and it is accomplished only through the magnificent atonement of Christ. Never confuse the effect with the cause. The effect in me is obedience, service, and prayer, and is the outcome of inexpressible thanks and adoration for the miraculous sanctification that has been brought about in me because of the atonement through the Cross of Christ.” CHAMBERS
 
In general sanctification means to be in "the state of proper functioning." To be set apart for the use intended by our designer.  And so we are sanctified .. set apart from the world , the culture, we live in to accomplish the purpose for which we were created.  (Ephesians 2:10) “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”  Another word for sanctification is holiness.  (1 Peter 1:15-17) “but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” If you address as Father the One who impartially judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves in fear during the time of your stay on earth”  Did you catch that?  Since we have been set apart, we must conduct ourselves in fear – with respect toward the Father.  That means that we should be intentional about how we live, what we say, what we think, where we go, what we do. 
 
Our lives should point people to the Creator.  They should reflect Jesus.  Please don’t think, “oh no, that can’t be me”.  It is you my friend.  We are all the same, with the same expectation placed upon us.  From Billy Graham all the way down the line to you and me.  (Ephesians 4:4-6) “Therefore I [Paul], the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.”  So what are you waiting for an invitation?  You got something better – a Savior.  ELGIN

No comments: