Monday, October 10, 2016

Climbing Up The Slippery Slope With A Smile On My Face

My Utmost For His Highest
 
Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father…that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes." —Matthew 11:25
 
“All of God’s revealed truths are sealed until they are opened to us through obedience. You will never open them through philosophy or thinking. But once you obey, a flash of light comes immediately. […] The only way you can get to know the truth of God is to stop trying to find out and by being born again. If you obey God in the first thing He shows you, then He instantly opens up the next truth to you. You could read volumes on the work of the Holy Spirit, when five minutes of total, uncompromising obedience would make things as clear as sunlight. Don’t say, “I suppose I will understand these things someday!” You can understand them now. And it is not study that brings understanding to you, but obedience. Even the smallest bit of obedience opens heaven, and the deepest truths of God immediately become yours. Yet God will never reveal more truth about Himself to you, until you have obeyed what you know already. […] “If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know…” (John 7:17).” CHAMBERS
 
Our new life is one of faith not of understanding.  It is not necessary, in fact it is spiritually deadly, to insist upon understanding what is required of you before you obey what God requires of you.  As Jesus told Nicodemus, “You must be born again”. Jesus was saying, “Nicodemus, you will not find God and eternal life in study, but only by faith and obedience to His revelation.” That being that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (John 14:6) And so it is for you and me.  An inescapable truth.  Our new life blossoms only in the context of the our obedience not our understanding.  If you make “knowing” and condition of “doing”, you will never “do” anything.  That is contrary to the natural life, but then God’s ways – the Spiritual life – are not our ways – the natural life. (Isaiah 55:8) 
 
If I could film the Christian life it would not be skipping through a field of flowers.  Butterflies flitting around my head.  Soft music playing in the background.  Blue sky.  White clouds.  The sun shining. 80 degrees with 60% humidity. Well you get the idea. Instead it would be one of climbing a steep trail up a mountain.  Full of obstacles.  Scraping my hands and knees as I slip and fall on the trail.  It’s cold.  The rain is falling.  I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.  The thunder rolls.  Yet, I get back up.  I look up toward my goal, not my present circumstance.  I persevere and I find inner strength.  My journey is a difficult one, but I have joy in my heart, even a smile on my face.  Who I am and whether or not I have confidence and hope is not diminished by the difficulty of the journey.  My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus and His righteousness.  On Christ the solid rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand. Press on, keep your eyes on Jesus and obey His voice. (John 14:23)  CHARLEY
 
I AM PRESSING ON THE UPWARD WAY  Johnson Oatman Jr.
 
I’m pressing on the upward way, New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound, “Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”
 
My heart has no desire to stay Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound, My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.
 
I want to live above the world, Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound, The song of saints on higher ground.
 
I want to scale the utmost height And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till rest I’ve found, “Lord, lead me on to higher ground.”
 
Lord, lift me up, and let me stand By faith on Canaan’s tableland;
A higher plane than I have found,   Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.

No comments: