Friday, April 29, 2016

How To Be Certain In Times Of Uncertainty

My Utmost For His Highest
 
…it has not yet been revealed what we shall be… —1 John 3:2
 
“Our natural inclination is to […] always to forecast accurately what will happen next– that we look upon uncertainty as a bad thing. We think that we must reach some predetermined goal, but that is not the nature of the spiritual life. The nature of the spiritual life is that we are certain in our uncertainty. […] Certainty is the mark of the commonsense life– gracious uncertainty is the mark of the spiritual life. To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, not knowing what tomorrow may bring. This is generally expressed with a sigh of sadness, but it should be an expression of breathless expectation. We are uncertain of the next step, but we are certain of God. As soon as we abandon ourselves to God and do the task He has placed closest to us, He begins to fill our lives with surprises. […] The spiritual life is the life of a child. We are not uncertain of God, just uncertain of what He is going to do next. […] .. when we have the right relationship with God, life is full of spontaneous, joyful uncertainty and expectancy.”
 
The Haitian Creole for being certain in our uncertainty is . “Si Bondye vle” If God wants. Being resolved to trusting in the will of God and His sovereignty.  I know I will step on some toes with the next comment.  It’s like praying for traveling mercies. In other words, Lord please don’t let anything bad happen and certainly don’t let us die.  Why is God’s will and sovereignty any different when we are in a car, train or plane that when we are sitting in our living room or mowing the lawn?  The truth is, it doesn’t matter where we are .. remember Psalm 139?  Why do we pray that way?Because we think that way. Because we want to not be afraid.  Dallas Holm sang a song that emphasized that truth:
 
“I’ve Never Been Out Of His Care”
 
“The eyes of God are upon me,  He sees everything I do.  The arms of God are around me,  They keep me safe and secure.
 
And He knows where I am  Every hour of every day  He knows each thought I think  He knows each word that I might say.
 
And although there've been times  I've been out of His will  I've never been out of His care.
 
This changing world alarms me,  With war, with sin, with strife.  But my loving Father charms me,  With joy, with peace, and with life.”
 
We should look forward to each day with expectation.  Expectation that our God is faithful and we are never out of His care. (1 Peter 5:7)  Expectation that no matter what events may happen in our lives, we are in His hands.  When we were serving in Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina, a volunteer asked me if I liked living in Mississippi .. in the middle of a disaster area.  The Lord had us there for 5 years.  After reflection .. no one had ever asked me that particular question before … I answered, “I love being in Mississippi.  There is no better place to be than the center of God’s will for your life.  Geography has nothing to do with it.” That can also be said for Haiti and Alabama.  Or wherever you might be at this particular point in your life.  No matter what storm or disaster you find yourself in. That is so long as you are in the center of God’s will and not your own.  ELGIN
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: