Saturday, April 23, 2016

Got My Ticket To Heaven, But Looking For Life In All The Wrong Places

My Utmost For His Highest
 
“A great number of Christian workers worship their work. The only concern of Christian workers should be their concentration on God. This will mean that all the other boundaries of life, whether they are mental, moral, or spiritual limits, are completely free with the freedom God gives His child; that is, a worshiping child, not a wayward one. […] He is a slave to his own limits, having no freedom of his body, mind, or spirit. Consequently, he becomes burned out and defeated. There is no freedom and no delight in life at all. […] The only responsibility you have is to stay in living constant touch with God, and to see that you allow nothing to hinder your cooperation with Him. […] God engineers everything; and wherever He places us, our one supreme goal should be to pour out our lives in wholehearted devotion to Him in that particular work. “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might…” (Ecclesiastes 9:10).  CHAMBERS
 
The underlying principle to what Chambers is saying is that my success in the Christian life is totally dependent upon where I have put my focus and trust.  If I decide that I can do things on my own, I am in trouble.  Because I cannot.  I cannot carry the load of life on my own. I cannot accomplish what God has shown me to do, on my own.  I was not reborn into a life of faith only to continue in a life of independence from God.  If all I claim in my new life is a ticket to heaven, then I have missed the one thing that can give me joy and peace in this life.  It is in our old nature to primarily trust in our own solutions and abilities, even if we continue to fail miserably.  Sounds crazy, but it is sadly true.  The thing is, I can tell you about this, but that is the limit of what I can do.  Only you can choose to do anything about it.  Let me share Jesus words on the matter.  (John 16:33) “These things I have spoken to you, that you might have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”  Stop trying to overcome the world on your own.  It’s impossible.  God had to send the Son to do it.  (1 John 5:11-12) “And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.”  You may be looking for life in all the wrong places.  ELGIN
 
Charley Elgin

No comments: