Thursday, December 11, 2014

Stop Making Excuses For Your Old Nature




Individuality counterfeits spirituality, just as lust counterfeits love. […] The characteristics of individuality are independence and self-will. We hinder our spiritual growth more than any other way by continually asserting our individuality. If you say, “I can’t believe,” it is because your individuality is blocking the way; individuality can never believe. But our spirit cannot help believing. Watch yourself closely when the Spirit of God is at work in you. He pushes you to the limits of your individuality where a choice must be made. The choice is either to say, “I will not surrender,” or to surrender, breaking the hard shell of individuality, which allows the spiritual life to emerge. […] God wants to bring you into union with Himself, but unless you are willing to give up your right to yourself, He cannot.” CHAMBERS

In Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life, he says that God SHAPES us for ministry, for His purpose.  The “P” stands for personality.  Each of us as a unique personality.  Certainly God can use that, but what we call a personality trait is often really a learned behavior and we learned it, many times, out of pain and trials.  Rick also says that “hurt people hurt people”.  There are unresolved issues in our lives that manifest themselves in how we deal with life and others. Many times, not in good ways.  We do things that do not glorify God or bless others.  Our response .. that is just the way that I am, or I can’t help it. We must stop making excuses for our old nature.

To say I can’t change is really to say I won’t change.  There is nothing impossible for God.  But, we can turn away from Him, refuse to yield some part of us that we think protects who we really are .. the “me” that no one sees .. the “me” that must be protected at all costs.  But God sees.  There is nothing that He does not know about you.  We must yield ourselves … all of ourselves to God.  He only has the best in mind.  There is none who can be trusted more.  Pray about this … even as I type this, I think about my own life .. the hurts that have shaped me .. 2 Corinthians 1 says “God is the God of all comfort who comforts us in our affliction so that we can comfort others.”  That is God’s solution to the pain in our lives .. We use the pain as a reason to keep people at a distance … He uses it as a tender caress, a reassuring hug to those who are struggling. The prinicple to remember is that you cannot give comfort until you have received it yourself. ELGIN

“He Knows My Name”
“I have a maker, He formed my heart.  Before even time began my life was in His hands.
He knows my name. He knows my every thought. He sees each tear that falls. And He hears me when I call.
I have a Father, He calls me His own.  He’ll never leave me, no matter where I go.”

Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: