Monday, February 24, 2014

Loving God 8 Days A Week

My Utmost For His Highest
 
‘We have no right in Christian service to be guided by our own interests and desires. In fact, this is one of the greatest tests of our relationship with Jesus Christ. The delight of sacrifice is that I lay down my life for my Friend, Jesus (see John 15:13). I don’t throw my life away, but I willingly and deliberately lay it down for Him and His interests in other people. And I do this for no cause or purpose of my own. […] Many of us are interested only in our own goals […] But if we are totally surrendered to Him [Jesus], we have no goals of our own to serve. Paul said that he knew how to be a “doormat” without resenting it, because the motivation of his life was devotion to Jesus. […] In fact, he [Paul] stated, “I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren . . .” (Romans 9:3). Had Paul lost his ability to reason? Not at all! For someone who is in love, this is not an overstatement. And Paul was in love with Jesus Christ.’ CHAMBERS
 
I have heard it said and have said myself, that the love of a woman can change a man like nothing else.  When you are in love with another person, your priorities change … how you spend your time and money.  What you dwell on in your thoughts.  Suddenly everything else dims in the light of that relationship.  That is a reflection of how our lives should be in relation to Jesus.  God hates adultery because it represents a divided love.  You cannot love two things the most.  You will love one, and in comparison, you will hate the other.  You may have an affection for one (or many other things), but you will not have the commitment to it.
 
Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”
 
God is a jealous God and wants all of your love for himself … Taking a cue from a Beatles song … our love for God must be 8 days a week….  yes, He wants us to love others, (Matthew 22:37-39) but in comparison to our love for Him, our love for others is a mere affection.  The truth is, our love for others is but a reflection of our love for God.
 
I saw on Facebook that a couple, married for 38 years, had renewed their vows to each other.  That is understandably a great way to proclaim your commitment.  But more than making your statement through a ceremony … we should live our lives in such a way that there is no doubt where our affections lie.  And so it is with our love for God.  Is there any question in other people’s minds where your affections are?  Would they be surprised to learn that you are a Christ follower? Maybe you should consider renewing your vows with God.
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: