Monday, April 27, 2020

The Value of Adversity


My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” – James 1:2-8

Have you heard the expression, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”? Do you believe it? I have been watching our country respond to the COVID 19 pandemic with some interest.  On the whole, people in this country are self-absorbed – narcissistic even. (BTW Narcissism a sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy for others, a need for excessive admiration, and the belief that one is unique and deserving of special treatment.) So I have been pleasantly surprised to see how many have responded to this crisis – excluding politicians and talking heads on TV.  It caused me to reflect on how this country has responded when threatened by some “evil” in the past.

When we face adversity, which is a guarantee in this life, as Christians, we must do so with faith in God and not trust in our government or ourselves, really.  James’ reference to being double minded is when we can’t decide who we are going to trust – God or man.  The Bible says “Trust in the Lord with every ounce of your being ..” Proverbs 3:5-6 paraphrased.  Lack of faith is indecisiveness.  Our problem is when we have decided what we want the outcome to be and doubt that God will deliver on our desires.  What if He doesn’t heal me? What if He doesn’t get my job back for me? What if ………?

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  – Philippians 4:11-13

Paul’s attitude on life was a result of his life-focus.  His faith was in Jesus not in his circumstances. Oh, I am not like Paul, you say? Yes you are, I say.  We are all saved by grace through faith.  What might make you think that you are not like Paul is that you don’t place your faith in Jesus like Paul. It is not that you can’t.  It is that you choose not to. Me too, by the way.  We are struggle with being double minded.  Some more than others. But struggle we do!

In Galatians 5, you can read about the fruit of the flesh (my description) and the fruit of the Spirit (God’s revelation).  The fruit of the flesh is manifested because of the circumstances people find themselves in and self-trust, The Fruit of the Spirit is manifested in Christians, in spite of their circumstances, because of faith and their trust in God.  What Paul was describing in Philippians was a result of the Spirit of God at work in his life. 

 “… love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” – Galatians 5:22-23

I saw a bumper sticker once that said “No Jesus – no peace – Know Jesus – know peace”  We will never know what it’s like to live in contentment no matter what storm is raging around us if we are double minded – something to pray about and then practice.  The good thing about adversity is that it can drive you to your knees and cause you to “look to the Hills from whence your help cometh” (Psalm 121)

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: