Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Are There Skeletons In Your Closet?

He [the Lord] asked me, 'Son of man, can these bones live?' I said, 'O Sovereign LORD, you alone know.'" - Ezekiel 37:3

Is there something in your life that you have decided is broken beyond repair? Something that you have given up hope that it will ever change. Not something about someone else – but something about you.  With respect to something that is typically not a good thing, I often hear people say – “Well that is just the way our family is.” As if to say – “There is nothing I can do about it – it is the way I was raised or it is my DNA.”  You might feel helpless and hopeless.

Perhaps it is a persistent sin – a sin that you cannot just seem to shake loose from.  Stuck on you like glue. You hate it.  Paul talked about his struggles in Romans chapter 7.

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do….. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!” – Romans 7:14-15,22-25

The solution to whatever it is that you think won’t ever change is not trying harder – it is “faithing” harder – trusting in God more and us less. Like Ezekiel – we are looking at something that is beyond the realm of possible – but it is not impossible for God. I am thinking – Ezekiel looked that the bones and knew that they were the bones of dead men – long gone.  God looked at the bones and He was and is the Creator God who formed man from the dust of the earth – spoke the universe into being – how difficult would it be for Him to raise up that which was thought impossible by men?  That which you have decided is impossible?

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” – Ephesians 3:20-21

That is the God who saved us. That is the God we serve.  There is nothing impossible for Him. That thing that you struggle with – give it to the Lord.  Stop trying to fix it yourself. I know that all of us have “dead bones” in our lives. As a Christian you are living a life of new possibilities – where the impossible is now possible but only by faith. I was just reminding a pastor friend in Jacmel, Haiti – Bondye kapab fé sa – God can do it! Whatever it is.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: