Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Are You Ready To Tend The Garden?


But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear” – 1 Peter 3:15

A friend of mine was talking to me about something that happened to her.  Something wonderful and, at the same time terrifying.  She was talking to tech support trying to solve her internet router problem – if can you identify – say Hallelujah!  At any rate – she had been having a not-so-good week – and ready or not – somehow the conversation went personal and spiritual. Next thing you know – she led a young man – who lives on the other side of the world to the foot of the cross.  She said she was terrified and yet her heart was rejoicing.  She knows that she can’t save anyone.  She knows that there is not special Christian mantra that, if said often enough, will be irresistible to the hearer.  She knew it was God and she suspected that what had been happening to her the week prior was preparation for that phone call.

Do you think that God would do that? Does it seem impossible or circumstantial? Let me ask this.  Do you believe that God would send His Son from heaven to die on a cross for that young man on the other end of that phone call? Do you believe that could happen? Why are we surprised by what God does.  One reason I think is that deep down, everyone knows that they don’t deserve God’s grace and mercy – and yet He gave it and continues to give it. The really amazing thing is that He uses people like you and me, like my friend to be part of it. We are merely tending the Garden – like Paul and Apollos

Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.”  – 1 Corinthians 3:5-7

We are not on the hunt for “spiritual scalps” as if we get extra points in heaven for leading people to the Lord.  We are just doing our “job”, what God intended and what Jesus commanded.  God uses us as part of the “salvation chain of events” that culminates in someone surrendering to faith in Jesus. It is a privilege to be part of that. But I want to point out a part of 1 Peter 3:15 that is typically not emphasized. “sanctify the Lord God in your hearts” That means that we must be spiritually prepared for what God is leading us to.  So often we prepare to share our faith as if we were memorizing our lines for a play or a speech.  When God uses you to plant or water, it is a spiritual event.  We should spend more time on preparing our hearts and less time on memorizing a script as if a person’s salvation depended upon our words said the right way in the right amount of time.

I know that what I am saying is not conventional, but God is not conventional – He is God. There is no magic formula for leading someone to the Lord like my friend did – it is spiritual and Spirit-led. Listen my mom shared the Lord with me for seven years – but it was not until my heart was ready did I put my faith in Jesus – and then it was not during a conversation with her.  Was she part of it – absolutely but she was not the source of the power behind it.  So what about you? Are you ready? Or I suppose I should ask, “Is your heart sanctified and ready?” I hope so.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: