Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Being Satisfied With Good-Enough


“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.” ― Philippians 3:13-15

When, in this mortal life, can we say, ‘I am spiritual enough?’ or ‘I have done enough.’ or ‘I have changed enough?’ or ‘I have given up enough?’

Is there a point in our life when we can just be satisfied with where we are – who we are – even with some things that we know in our heart are not pleasing to God? But they are good enough as far as we are concerned? The Apostle Paul seems to be telling us – actually God through Paul – that we should never be satisfied with where we are. I am not suggesting that I should try harder to be more godly and less carnal. I am saying that I must “faith” harder – surrender more so I can become more godly and less carnal. I should never be satisfied with any of the carnality that continues to haunt me and is sometimes displayed – even though I would like people to think that I am past all of that.

None of us are past that. All of us struggle with our flesh and its desire to rule over us. That tension is always there – I suppose God allows it as a reminder that I am dependent on God, the Spirit, and the Word in this new life of mine. When I am tempted it is my natural side that is tempted not my spiritual nature. When I sin – it is my sinful nature that is rising up.

Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am tempted by God’; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.” – James 1:12-14

Don’t be satisfied with good-enough! Don’t be content with the fact that you must face temptations to yield to your old nature and submit to them. That is never OK. It is never justified although it might be rationalized.  I saw a that word, rationalized, written in a different way – Rational Lies – we tell ourselves lies to justify our sin. God is not convinced and neither is the Spirit in us. And really, neither are we.

Press On toward  your high calling, my friend, and look to God, not yourself, for the strength to do it.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: