Thursday, April 30, 2020

Do The Words We Say Really Matter?


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.” – 2 Corinthians 5:17-18

There are very few people, apart from family that new me before I was born again.  I was pretty normal in the natural man sense of the word.  Living life just like everyone else was – at least who lived life like me. But there was a day in September 1976 that turned my life upside down. The things that seemed to control me – one by one fell away. I was not transfigured – but I was and am still being to this day, transformed. I was not the old Charley. I used alcohol excessively like so many other vets I knew to compensate. PTSD was not the “buzz word” it is today. I could barely speak without using expletives – profanity. But almost it seems in an instant – those things were no longer part of my life.  The things I stopped doing, the Word says not to do.  The Spirit in me and the Word of God was, and still is, having its affect. 

I was having a conversation with some other Christians the other day when one of the guys blurted out some profanity.  That always gets my attention.  I suppose because it was so much a part of the “old” me.  I hear it everyday as I live in this world, but I don’t expect to hear it come our of the mouths of Christians. There are certain words that seem to fall in the category of “that is the way men speak” or perhaps – “There is nothing really wrong with those words.”  The thing is, it is my spirit that is checked when I hear them come out of the mouths of other Christians.  Now you may be thinking, “So what is the big deal – they are just words.” Please allow me to give you some Biblical perspective. 

A good man [read Christ follower] out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks”  – Luke 6:45

Words matter. We are salt and light – speaking life  -ambassadors of Christ – representatives of the King. Why would we think it is OK to represent the world instead – and encourage others to do it as well? Well the answer to that question is – “No body likes to sin alone!” Ask Adam and Eve about that.

But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude [likeness] of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening?” – James 3:8-11

Does this seem like a trivial thing to you? Well, it may seem that way but looking at a person of the opposite sex lustfully may seem trivial – but Jesus said you are guilt of adultery if the temptation settles into your heart.  The word says “Don’t do it.” The world says, “It’s not so bad – there are a lot worse things than profanity.” This is what James said about it. 

“For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.”  – James 2:10

That does not leave any wiggle room.  Sin is not OK, no matter how trivial it might seem. How acceptable it might be among even your Christian friends. Remember, people don’t like to sin alone – it other professing Christians are doing it, it is easy to feel justified in doing it yourself. I am reminded of the classic “Mom” question in response to me say “All my friends are doing it”. “If your friends jumped off of a bridge, would you jump off too?”

Well …. Would you?  Do you?

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: