Monday, April 20, 2020

How Many Times? The Answer Is Not Blowin’ In The Wind


“Then Peter came to Him and said, ‘Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?’ Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.” ― Matthew 18:21-23

In the 60’s and 70’s there was a group called Peter, Paul, and Mary. Almost sounds Biblical doesn’t it? But they were a secular group. Anyway, the sang a song called “Blowin’ in the Wind”. In that song was the phrase “How many times?” As I sat here this morning asking the Lord “What is it that I should write?” that song came to mind and then Peter asking Jesus that same question.

On the face of it, it seems reasonable doesn’t it. Someone wrongs you, over and over, how many times do you have to forgive them? I guess the question might be reversed – “How many times do you want God to forgive you?” Five? Ten? Or how about every time. I think there is a distinction that should be made here – Forgiveness is your part – confession and repentance is the offender’s part. It is not to say that there is not a disruption in the relationship. But when someone offends you and repents then the relationship is restored.

How exactly that works with God and me is how it is supposed to work with me and others.  That is why Jesus shared the parable about the unforgiving servant right after Peter’s question. I get the feeling that Peter had some number in his head at which point he would feel justified in rejecting his repentant friend.

But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt.” – Matthew 5:28-30

The servant who had just been forgiven much now had the opportunity to forgive little, but it was different. Had had been offended where before he was the offender.  He wanted forgiveness of his debt but was unwilling even to give more time to repaid a debt owed him.  Jesus is the payment of our debt – the satisfier of God’s wrath for my sin.  Why would I not be willing to show the same grace and mercy to others? No matter how many times I am offended by someone – it can never match the forgiveness I have received and the gift of eternal life that I have been given.  Same goes for you!

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” ― 1 John 1:9

Is that a hard thing for you to do? Well that is because it is an impossible thing to do – if you are counting on you – alone. Forgiveness – like God forgives – has a spiritual root.  It is a reflection of the fruit of the Spirit. If you can’t find it to forgive when a person repents then the root of your problem is spiritual not self-will. And for those who offend you that don’t repent? God has an answer for that too.

You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I [Jesus] say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.” – Matthew 5:43-48 

No matter what God asks me to do for others, it will never match the sacrifice Jesus made for me. The same goes for you my friend.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: