Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The Challenge Of Not Being Under Your Circumstances


Not that I [Paul] speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:11-13

Have you ever asked someone how they are doing and they said, “As well as I might expect under these circumstances.” The question is for all of us who are joint heirs with Christ – adopted sons and daughters of the Creator God – “What are you doing ‘under’ your circumstances?”

What Paul was telling the Philippians and us is that what is happening in the natural – although it may not be a good thing – should not dictate our contentment – our confidence in the future.  Living our lives with spiritual understanding – facing what this natural life brings – good and bad – with the knowing that God is sovereign.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

There is not one thing that we should be anxious about – our future, our finances, the well-being of our family – whatever might raise its head like a poisonous snake and threaten to undo us.  How we respond to life is a function of the quality of our relationship with the Father – Our success with being content in all things – with not being anxious is determined by the quality of our faith.

In the Army we said that a unit “Fights the way it trains.”  When we are not in battle, we are preparing for battle. I remember, as a second Lieutenant – a butter bar – called that because of the gold bar that signified that rank – I was assigned as a scout platoon leader in an Armor (tank) battalion. The job of the scout is to find the enemy and report.  That means you are on the “pointy” end of the spear.  I would talk to the platoon about the importance of being proficient in what they did – so they would not be a casualty because of their incompetence.  I would talk to them about the Vietnam war – the end of still fresh in the minds of many.  My boss talked to me and told me to stop talking so much about war and death. That our unit was not high on the list for deployment.  We were, after all, a FAD (Force activity designator) 2 unit – meaning we would not be the first to deploy if a war with the Soviet Union broke out. I told him that the Russians did not have FAD-1 and FAD-2 bullets. Their bullets didn’t care who they killed. And the lesson I wanted to teach my troops was that people die in wars – that we might well because of the mission scouts had – which meant that we needed to be really good at what we did – we needed to train the way we would fight.

So – why did I share that story? Because in the same way – as Christians – is we neglect our faith – when the battle comes – whatever form it may take – and we are not ready – we will be in trouble.  We will be just like those who have no faith. If your focus is on the world – circumstances that seem overwhelming – threatening like that venomous snake – and not on God – you are in trouble spiritually.  But you don’t have to be.

If you are home – which most of us are – what are you doing with your time? Bing watching Netflix? Glued to news reports about COVID-19? Stressing over your future. I am not suggesting that you deny reality – COVID-19 is real – Layoffs are real – financial stress is real – but so is the overcoming faith that Paul wrote about – that Jesus spoke about. Jesus asked of His disciples – “Why did you doubt?” He said, “Oh you of little faith.” These were the men that walked beside Him – that personally saw what He did every day. And still they struggled with trust and faith. Do you remember the story about Thomas, the Doubter?

“Then He [Jesus] said to Thomas, ‘Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.’ And Thomas answered and said to Him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him, ‘Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.’” – John 20:27-29

That would us – we were saved by grace through faith – not by sight!

Some trust in Chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God!” – Psalm 20:7

Remember that and rejoice in spite of the circumstances that might rage around you! Look up


By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: