Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When God Whispers


My Utmost For His Highest

‘The call of God is the expression of God’s nature, not ours. God providentially weaves the threads of His call through our lives, and only we can distinguish them. It is the threading of God’s voice directly to us over a certain concern, and it is useless to seek another person’s opinion of it. Our dealings over the call of God should be kept exclusively between ourselves and Him.

The call of God is not a reflection of my nature; my personal desires and temperament are of no consideration. As long as I dwell on my own qualities and traits and think about what I am suited for, I will never hear the call of God. But when God brings me into the right relationship with Himself, I will be in the same condition Isaiah was. Isaiah was so attuned to God, because of the great crisis he had just endured, that the call of God penetrated his soul. The majority of us cannot hear anything but ourselves. And we cannot hear anything God says. But to be brought to the place where we can hear the call of God is to be profoundly changed.’ CHAMBERS
 
“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”  C.S. Lewis
 
God speaks to us through His Word and through life by His Spirit.  A technique I have seen teachers use is to speak to their class very softly, forcing the class to be quiet so they could hear.  We need to take time to be quiet and listen to the Lord.  But then, there is more to it than that.  We need to do what God tells us to do.  If you are a Christian you have a constant witness within you, the Holy Spirit.
 
1 Kings 19:11-13  Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. Suddenly a voice came to him, and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
 
Have you ever heard that question asked of you?  What are you doing here?  Why are you living your life in this manner?  Why have you drifted away from Me? Why have you not done what I told you to do?
 
Very often we allow the world and the things of this world to drown out the Lord’s voice.  Take time to listen to Him today.  Jesus said “But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.” John 10:26-28
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: