Saturday, January 19, 2013

Misplaced Confidence

My Utmost For His Highest

Do I trust at all in the flesh? Or have I learned to go beyond all confidence in myself and other people of God? Do I trust in books and prayers or other joys in my life? Or have I placed my confidence in God Himself, not in His blessings? “I am Almighty God . . .”— El-Shaddai, the All-Powerful God (Genesis 17:1). The reason we are all being disciplined is that we will know God is real. As soon as God becomes real to us, people pale by comparison, becoming shadows of reality. Nothing that other saints do or say can ever upset the one who is built on God.’ CHAMBERS
 
Not putting confidence in the world and the things of this world is a challenge for us.  Think about it.  Why would God have included the admonition if it wasn’t going to be an issue?
 
1 John 2:15 “Stop loving the world and the things that are in the world. If anyone persists in loving the world, the Father's love is not in him.”
 
That is not, “if” you love the world .. the assumption is that you do …. John said “stop” loving the things of this world.  Some might say, “Well wasn’t John writing to someone else who had this problem?” But God said ...
 
2 Timothy 3:16-17All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
 
That includes 1 John 2:15
 
Matthew 6:19-21  “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
 
Luke 12:16-21   “And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’  “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”
 
It’s about priorities not possessions.  God blesses us with possessions for his purpose, not ours.
 
"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus and His Righteousness .... On Christ the solid rock I stand .. all other ground is sinking sand"
 
Bondye Beni Ou (God Bless You)

No comments: