Thursday, October 10, 2024

Poured Out Wine - Just Like Jesus

"Even if I [Paul] am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all." - Philippians 2:17

Can you pray this to God? "Pour me out for your purpose - use me up - I can do nothing less for God and others than the Savior has done for me." Does that seem extreme to you? The idea that you would be a sacrifice. We too easily read verses in the Bible that encourage us to do that very thing.

"I [Paul] appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:1-2

Pouring out the right to choose to live any way you want. Instead to lay your nets down and follow Jesus. To abandon the priorities and desires of this world for the sake of the Gospel. Just like Jesus.

"And he [Jesus] took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." - Matthew 26:27-29

Just like Jesus. Does that fit with your idea of what it means to be a Christian? This is not a call for a few "elites" but for everyone who has been born again by faith in Jesus. We sang a song at a church we are visiting which sparked my thinking about this. When I go to church - I am there for more than the music or the preaching. I am there, listening. For what? A word from the Lord. It can be through the music or the sermon - something else that is said or done. But my prayer is "Lord speak, your servant is listening." Try it - you might be surprised. Here are a couple of verses from that song.

"Pour me out, Lord, use me up. When You’re done I know You will refill my cup. Take this life, use the rest of my days. Make me a holy instrument for Your praise.

I’m yielding to His Holy Spirit. If He’s not in it, no need to get near it. I’m His vessel since He cleansed me. I’m ready to go wherever He sends me

Purge my heart of any other love. Affections set on only what’s above. I’m grateful for the love he’s shown me. I’m using all the gifts He’s loaned me." - Pour Me Out, Rev Spig Davis.

I encourage you to make this your prayer - every day

"Pour me out, Lord, When You're done I know You will refill my cup. Take this life, use the rest of my days Make me a holy instrument for Your praise." 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone 


No comments: