Monday, May 27, 2024

Truth Does Not Change - No Matter How Much The World Wants It To

"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ." - Galatians 1:10

There was a joke running around the Industrial (think - Ops Research Systems Analysis) Engineering department quite a few years ago when I was getting my Masters at Kansas State. It goes something like this. A company was looking to hire someone strong in mathematical analytics. The interview consisted of one question. "What is 4 divided by 2?" The first person interviewed was a mathematician. When asked the question, he got out his scientific calculator, pressed a few buttons and answered, "4 divided by 2 is exactly 2 point 0000".

The second person was a social scientist. His answer, "My feeling is that it is about 2." The third person was a systems engineer. When asked the question, he got up from his chair. He closed the blinds. Locked the door. Turned out the lights and whispered in the interviewer's ear, "What do you want it to be?" In the minds of men, truth is relative - relative to social consensus. ever changing across time.

But Biblical Truth is immutable. Its interpretation is not dependent upon the generation, country, ethnicity, or social consensus. It does not change. It has a spiritual root - revealed by the Creator God and not the thoughts and preferences of men and women. 

As Christians, our measure of "right" must always be a reflection of God's revelation and not the consensus of the culture and a period in history. But know this, if you embrace the Bible as your guide for what is right, and wrong, then you are bound to be at odds with the culture you live in. Paul said that "if he was trying to please men then he would not be servant of Christ." People do not like to be told that what they believe to be right is wrong. To have the Light of God's Truth shine on their sin will always draw their ire. The only time it will not is when the Spirit of God brings conviction to someone's heart, and they yield their truth to the Spirit of God by faith. 

Consider these verses

"The world cannot hate you, but it hates me [Jesus] because I testify about it that its works are evil." - John 7:7

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me [Jesus] before it hated you." - John 15:18

"Whoever hates me hates my Father also." - John 15:23

"Nevertheless, I [Jesus] tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me" - John 16:7-9

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: