Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Knowing Where You Are Going

"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:7-11,13-14

Martie and I were chatting with a friend this past week when she said, "You have to know where you are going." I wrote that down. I was reminded of Paul. His eyes were fixed on Jesus. Not his culture. Not his own well-being - but wholly on Jesus. Viewing his life in the context of what lies ahead. 

If we have a clear understanding that this life is but a speck in terms of eternity, the significance of what happens on the "natural side" of things becomes less important. Our earthly goals and ambitions dim in the significance of who we are in Christ and whose we are in eternity.  I was watching a commercial promoting that idea that a company could help you raise your credit score by 30 or 40 points for the express purpose of enabling you to go deeper in debt. They described it as "tricking" the credit system. 

Now there is a life goal worth pursuing. Or not. 

"And he [Jesus] said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.” - Luke 12:15-21

Be careful that you don't buy into the world's idea of what it takes to be content - fulfilled - happy. Filling your life with wood, hay and stubble. Embracing a world view will leave you empty in the end. Put your hope in God.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: