Wednesday, September 13, 2023

You Who Are Spiritual

"This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts."  -Zechariah 4:6

I have been writing much of late about the differences between Christians and those who are not. I have a friend who has cancer - well several actually. Looking at them from the outside you would never know that there is something inside of them that is threatening their health and very lives.

Walking the aisles in a supermarket, I pass many people. They all look the same insomuch as they are in the store to buy groceries just like me. I can't see their hearts to know whether they have yielded them by faith to the Lord. There is no pillar of fire or cloud hovering above their heads to tell me that they are a child of the Creator God - sealed by the Spirit of God for eternity.

"Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?" - 1 Corinthians 3:16

The primary way that we would know if someone was born again by the Spirit is by the manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit.

"But the fruit [the manifestation of the Spirit in me] of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" - Galatians 5:22-23

But there is this other "thing". That still small voice that confirms the presence of the Spirit of God in another person. Does that sound mystical? Other worldly? It is - at least for me. It has happened to me a number of times over the years. Knowing but not knowing why you know, except that it is a revelation from God by the Spirit of God. There is a spiritual connection between me and another Believer. 

I suspect that most Christians don't think much about their spiritual nature. The nature given to us the day and moment that we surrendered to the Lordship of Jesus by faith.

"Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." - John 3:5-8

I am certain that every Christian would say that they know that truth - but do they walk in it - live with that reality ever present in their thinking and doing? We have been given "spiritual DNA" that we might be new creatures. Saved by faith and enlivened toward God by the Spirit.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

The Spirit is not in us simply as proof of our salvation, as if that were not enough, but we are sealed by the Spirit so that we might be transformed. Enabled to live our lives as God intended on the day that He created Adam. 

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." - John 14:26

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone



No comments: