Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Manifesting The Fruit Of The Spirit

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit." - Galatians 5:22-25

The fruit of the Spirit is manifested as a result of our rebirth and is a reflection of the nature and character of Jesus. When you look in a mirror whose reflection do you see? The fruit of the Spirit is within the reach of every Christian. Do you find yourself making excuses for why one or more of the fruit would not or could not be used by someone to describe your character?  

To digress for a moment, there is an important distinction between encouragement and criticism. That distinction is the motivated underpinning the comment. Do I point something out because I love you and want to encourage you to live out your faith or do I point something out to criticize you and condemn you intending to tear you down. When we hear the truth, we very often receive it as the latter (criticism) but if it is coming from another Christian in whom we have confidence, then we should receive it as the former (encouragement). 

Back to the point. Manifesting the fruit of the Spirit in our lives is a result of our walking in the Spirit - living surrendered to the Spirit's influence if you will. We have that capacity by virtue of being born again. What is needed on our part is our commitment to yield our hearts to the Spirit.  Being committed requires discipline. Discipline requires intentionality - determination - effort. Being disciplined means making sacrifices and establishing priorities. Being intentional or purposeful and not just stumbling along in our new life. 

When I spoke in Haitian churches, some years back, I would often use the analogy of mango trees to make this point. Mango trees are everywhere in Haiti. And so are sour orange trees. Sweet mangoes are a favorite fruit to eat and sour oranges, being sour, are used to tenderize meat.  I would say to the congregation, "Bearing Spiritual fruit is like you were a tree and told me that you were a Mango tree. So, I came to you to pick a mango from your branches but instead found sour oranges. If sour oranges are hanging on your branches, then I must think you are not a mango tree at all. You are really a sour orange tree pretending to be a mango tree. The same way, if you tell me that you are Christian, but when I come to inspect the fruit on your branches I find the fruit of the flesh and not the fruit of the Spirit, I think maybe you are not a Christian at all." What is the fruit of the flesh?

"Now the works [fruit] of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these." - Galatians 5:19-20

As you know, it is an everyday struggle to not give in to the fruit or works of the flesh. Your "old nature" will want to rise up in you. Wanting to push the spirit aside and "flex" its power over you. Remember that you could not save yourself but were saved by faith and made alive by the Spirit. It is a spiritual struggle.

"we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm." - Ephesians 6:12-13

I don't know about you, but I am sorry to say that I am not always successful in that wrestling match. Which reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by John Newton, author of the song "Amazing Grace" and former slave ship captain. 

“I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am"

There is hope and God is faithful, able and willing. And to that I say Amen and Hallelujah!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone






No comments: