Monday, July 31, 2023

United So The World May Know

 

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." - Galatians 3:28

As I was driving back from Florida, I saw a billboard with the Avengers on it.  The words were, "We all have the power to unite." Thinking about the characters on the Avenger's team - each one was markedly different from the others on the team. Yet, they were united and identified with each other. That is when Galatians 3:38 came to mind. As did the words of Jesus as He prayed to the Father in John 17.

“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me." - John 17:20-23

Apart from being born again, we lack the power to unite, to be one. We may think we are, but not like the Avengers and not like Jesus was praying about. If unity were possible apart from God then Jesus did not need to pray.  It would be something that people could do on their own. If that were possible then when the world saw oneness - unity, it would not be amazed and glorify God. But they can't. The next thing I saw was a Venn diagram in my mind's eye. I know! Here we go!!!!

The diagram has three parts. One is uniquely spiritual - things that are supernatural and not sinful. One is uniquely carnal - things that are natural and sinful. One that is what I am calling neutral - things shared by the saved and the lost. Things that people can do without God's help that are not sinful. Unity falls under the Spiritual. Lost people may have a semblance of unity at times, but it is not the unity that Jesus and Paul were referring to. Unity apart from God is more like an alliance - the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Unity for a season - when it is convenient. When it benefits me. It is like a fleeting shadow. Spiritual unity, on the other hand, is rooted in the power of the Spirit and is the product of our surrender to God.  The Spirit will draw you to the spiritual.  Your old nature will draw you to the sinful. Last thought ..... 

"If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." - 1 John 4:20

Spiritual unity draws no natural distinctions it is based solely on sharing one Spirit, one faith and one Lord. That is what unites us. 

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: