Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Insanity Of Following God

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the people of old received their commendation." - Hebrews 11:1-2

Listening to a sermon on Genesis 7 this morning. As a refresher, it is about the start of the flood. About the fact that Noah and his immediate family were the only ones that believed God. The preached said Noah was "resolute". That is an interesting word. You don't hear it much anymore.  Mr. Webster says it means "marked by firm determination : RESOLVED". There was apparently no question in Noah's mind about what he was going to do in response to what God said He was going to do.

I recall a conversation I had with a friend of mine in Waveland, Mississippi.  It was 2010 and the earthquake had just happened. We are getting calls and having conversations about the need for Martie and me to pack up in Mississippi and go to Haiti.  We sensed that we were indeed supposed to go, but we didn't know when, where or why - just that God was leading us there. I told my friend about our decision, I might add that our friend was not what I would classify as spiritually inclined. OK - he was not a Christian. He looked me square in the face - actually got into my personal space - and asked, "Are you crazy?" To which I replied, "It's not my idea, it's God's idea!" As I said, he was not a Believer so sharing spiritual truth with him resulted in a predictable result. He still thought I was being reckless.

My point in sharing this is not to compare myself to Noah. Oh that I had an ounce of his faith! No, my point is that you should not expect an unbelieving world to admire you for your resolute pursuit of God's call.  They may mock you or at best, tolerate you like you might tolerate or have sympathy for someone who is dull-normal.  

My second  point is that we must remember that we have all indeed been called to be resolute with our faith in God and not to succumb to our old nature's proclivity for trusting in the world and what can be seen, understood, and managed without God's help. God never calls you to do something that you can do without Him. As Henry Blackaby in Experiencing God wrote, "God is asking you to join Him in what He is already doing." Martie and I did not start Pathfinder Mission, we joined God in what He was doing in Mississippi, Haiti, Texas and now Florida. That puts a different perspective on things - the focus is not on us but on God Who called us and equipped us.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him,  and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones." - Proverbs 3:5-8

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: