Tuesday, March 21, 2023

How Many Times - I wonder - But Do I Really Want to Know

"Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." - Matthew 18:21-22

I visited a "life group" (aka Sunday School class) at a local church this past Sunday. The ensuing discussion in the class had to do with forgiveness- John 8 - the adulteress. In Matthew, Peter asks Jesus how many times that someone must forgive another person. Seven seemed like a reasonable number - after all it is the "perfect" number Biblically speaking right? WRONG! Jesus said we must keep on forgiving - forgiving when someone repents - is truly sorry for their offense. Just like God forgives us.

He then went on to share a parable about the unforgiving servant.  Someone who had been forgiven for much but was unwilling to show the same grace and mercy to others. By the way, we should not confuse forgiveness and trust. They are two separate things. Forgiveness should be granted to a repentant person, but trust must be earned. Having a lack of trust has nothing to do with loving someone or forgiving them. It is a recognition of a person's weakness in some area of their life. It is easy for us to point to other's weaknesses and brush aside, make excuses for, our own. The fact is that there are areas in our lives where we cannot be trusted either. It is the issue of the speck and the beam.

"For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." - Matthew 7:2-5

To be forgiven means that what you have done will not be held against you. I told the people in the meeting that I know when I have forgiven someone because when I remember their sin, I no longer am angry, bitter, or resentful toward them. 

"For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us." - Psalm 103:11-12

How can it be that we, who have been forgiven for so much would be unwilling to grant that same forgiveness to others?  Well, in short, it is our sin nature that has risen up. Unless we have the attitude of David in Psalm 51, we will not find forgiveness. Forgiving someone just like God has forgiven us is a reflection of the light that is in us as children of God - redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Be careful about demanding retribution for the offenses of others when people come to you with a broken and contrite heart.

"Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight— That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge..... Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You." - Psalm 51: 1-4, 10-13

Did you catch that? Forgiving is teaching transgressors God's ways and sinners will be converted.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: