Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Does Fear Have A Hold On You?

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me, uttering slanders against me, my adversaries and foes, they shall stumble and fall. Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident." - Psalm 27:1-3

What are you most afraid of? What is it that keeps you up at night? There are so many things that we have no control over. Illness, loss of loved ones, losing your job, not having enough money to pay your bills. Or how about retiring and realizing that who a you are is summed up in what you do. You are facing a future with no purpose. Well, the source of your unrest is not what you think. The source is that you have misplaced what you put your trust and reliance in.  

There is a saying on our currency - In God We Trust - which has lost its shine as far as most of the people in our culture are concerned. That phrase is in front of people in this country every day, but it has become meaningless words on a dollar bill. They mean nothing. It wouldn't surprise me if one day there is a movement to remove them altogether. Like so many other things, they have run afoul of the beliefs of the majority of our culture.

"Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed; he will answer him from his holy heaven with the saving might of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright." - Psalm 20:6-8

All of those things I mentioned earlier, the are very real possibilities, but those things that are significant in the eyes of so many - mean nothing in the eternal scheme of things. Of course, you must believe in the eternal to accept that and live in that understanding. My assumption is that if you are reading this, you do. You must keep your view of your life in proper perspective. And what is that?

"And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” - Matthew 22:35-40

Putting your fears in their place starts with putting God first - others next and you last. When you are fearful it is because you have reversed the God-ordained order of things. You have put yourself first. There is a song by Mercy Me called "Even If"

"They say it only takes a little faith To move a mountain Well, good thing 

A little faith is all I have right now. But God, when You choose To leave mountains unmovable

Give me the strength to be able to sing It is well with my soul

I know You're able and I know You can Save through the fire with Your mighty hand

But even if You don't My hope is You alone"

Can you sing that song about your life. My hope is "yes you can!" Final thought.

"The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6-7

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


 

No comments: