Sunday, July 17, 2022

Staying Right With God

"Now I [Paul] rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death" - 2 Corinthians 7:9-10

When you sin, are you sorry? Maybe so. But merely being sorry is not sufficient. Being free from the sin is not the point - you know, when you consider invoking 1 John 1:9 is sufficient to move on from your Biblical infraction. 

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." -  1 John 1:9

Like God is telling us forget about - move on with your life. That is not the point. 

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?" - Romans 6:1-3

What got me thinking about this was a sermon on 2 Samuel 12:1-23 and Psalm 51. Recall it was when King David was confronted over his sin - adultery and murder - by the prophet Nathan. David had apparently moved on with his life.  He had yet to feel the full consequence of his sins - but he would. Yet he did not have godly sorrow - that is until the day the the Lord sent the prophet Nathan to see him.

That is what we often do when we sin, as if it has not spiritual consequence. Most often we are more concerned with the physical consequence. We would just as soon that no one would know about it.  We might be sorry we did it but not sorry enough to repent before the Lord. to cry out like David did.

"For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight — Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit." - Psalm 51:3-4, 10-12

That is what godly sorrow leading to repentance looks like. We might succeed in hiding our sins from other people, but God sees the heart. And if you should be one that can rightly say, that is not me, then I would say be ready to encourage other Christians who struggle to not think that merely saying "I am sorry" and then moving on is good enough - it's not even close.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: