Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Letting Circumstances Dominate Your Life

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." - James 1: 2-8

I am certain that you are familiar with those verses. Do they strike you as impossible? Perhaps true and attainable - but not true and attainable for you. So often we find ourselves "under" our circumstances (which are never good circumstances) and not above them - filled with joy - being patient in our affliction. So often, our life experiences - our circumstances - not our faith - define us. They impact how we think about ourselves, about others, how we treat others - what we believe about our new life in Christ. We are not overcomers but are overcome by what life throws our way.

I think James is telling us that it doesn't have to be that way. But for those verse to be a reality, we must exercise faith in the face of the lion - which is our circumstance. We are not to deny the pain - perhaps the loss brought on by the events in our lives, but we are rest in the sovereignty of God. We cannot do it on our own, but need other Believers in our lives to encourage us - pray for us - love us. Unfortunately many times what we do is isolate ourselves from others - withdraw - like a turtle in its shell.

It is so easy, as one preacher put it, to allow our circumstances to become our god. That which we submit to - allow to dictate how we respond to the world around us - to defeat us - drain us of all hope and confidence - peace. Just the opposite of what the Spirit offers.

"love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." Galatians 5:22-23

So what is it that you have allowed to dominate you - has defeated you - sapped you of your strength and confidence - even perhaps your faith? Your first step to overcoming is to look up, not down or around!

"These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the  protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng. Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you." Psalm 42:4-6

Receive it - Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory. 

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: