Monday, June 13, 2022

Is All You Need Is Love True?

I saw a picture posted by a friend of mine a few days ago. It showed a multi-colored lamb next to Jesus with a white lamb asking "But what about the verses?" With Jesus saying "Love is more important than the verses." The timing is clear that the post was precipitated by the fact that this is Gay Pride month. I have seen similar posts since. Was my friend suggesting that what the Bible is clear about with regard to sin, any sin, should be ignored and we should just love people? I don't think so. I think it is more of not hating the sinner, any sinner, while at the same time, calling sin - sin.  Which is why we need a Savior. It gave me pause to think about what is true about AGAPE - the love that God shows to the world and we, as Christians are to show to others. 

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

We get confused, I think, with the ideas of sin, forgiveness, judgement and how love fits into all of it. If my children are doing something wrong, to correct them is not proof that I don't love them. Quite the contrary.  It is proof that I do.  If I say that someone is sinning because the Bible calls that behavior out as sin, in itself, does not mean that I do not love them - quite the contrary. I do not prove I love someone by embracing their sin and saying it is OK - acceptable but by embracing them and pointing them to a forgiving God. But, unfortunately the world demands that we embrace the sin - that we embrace the sin and call it good. And if we don't, we are accused of being hateful.

"When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, 'Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?' She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, 'Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.'” - John 8:10-11

Jesus did not ignore the sin - He called the woman to repentance from that sin. The same call to every other sinner - that would be all of us. It is easy to throw the baby out with the bath water. John 3:16 speaks to God the Father willing to offer God the Son to pay the penalty for the sins of the world. 

In order to appropriate forgiveness and redemption, there must by godly sorrow and repentance.  The idea that it is OK for me to continue in my sin because God loves me is heresy.  Or that I must agree that sin is OK to prove that I love someone. Not happening. God demonstrated His love for me so I did not have to continue in my sin. Embracing my sin in defiance and then demanding that God must accept me even though I am not sorry that I am a sinner is also heresy. To wear my sin proudly - shaking my fist defiantly in the face of God reveals a depraved and desperate heart.

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them." Romans 1:28-32

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: