Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Grace That Is Greater Than All Our Sin

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.  And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

I was reminded of something from my past the other day. Not sure what sparked the thought - maybe thinking that I was happy that I am no longer in Egypt. But it was a specific thought. It was in a time before I was born again - a couple of years before. My friend and I used to go my apartment for lunch and together would drink a six pack of Old Milwaukee. Then we would go back to classes at the university we attended.  We thought nothing of it. But the truth was both of us were Vietnam vets - and were using alcohol to deal with whatever it was that was troubling us.  We had another friend who was a professed Christian - holier than thou as we saw him.  We were convinced that he could not be as perfect as he "pretended" to be. He held a high opinion of the two of us and wanted to be "one of us". So one day, we decided to prove that he was not any different than we were.  We got him drunk - even though he was not a drinker.  People often do extreme things to be accepted. He drank so much that he passed out. There was our proof - in our minds - that he was not any better than we were, and yet, he was still not one of us. That is not one of the prouder moments in my life.

Of course I was oblivious to the truth of what a Christian was. I didn't understand that it was his faith - the presence of the Spirit of God, that was making us uncomfortable when we were around him. We were trying to remove the source of our discomfort by sabotaging his testimony. It was not until I yielded my heart to Jesus did I understand my friend. Then I became like him and not the other way around. As I said, it was not until a few days ago that I remembered that low point in my life. Then I remembered Paul's words, And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

Neither my friends today nor my children have any idea about what I was like before I met Jesus on the road. But I do. I am reminded of a quote from John Newton (author of Amazing Grace and reformed slave ship captain)

"I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am"

Can I get a Thank You Jesus!

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: