Friday, June 24, 2022

A Thorn In My Flesh

" For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me. And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:6-10

Have you ever wondered what that was? "Paul says that the affliction came from or by a “messenger of Satan.” Just as God allowed Satan to torment Job (Job 1:1-12), God allowed Satan to torment Paul for God’s own good purpose. The exact nature of Paul’s thorn in the flesh is uncertain. There is probably a good reason that we don’t know. God likely wanted Paul’s difficulty to be described in general enough terms to apply to any difficulty we may face now. Whether the “thorn” we struggle with today is physical, emotional, or spiritual, we can know that God has a purpose and that His grace is all-sufficient." - www.Gotquestions

I think that is a reasonable explanation. We are often tempted to add words to the Bible in an effort to "fill in the gaps". That is a slippery slope!  What the Bible is silent on - is silent on, no matter who much we want to know.  Of course there is context and there are corroborating verses that help us understand. But the danger is that we can take it too far and either speak or write "Ex-cathedra" Ex cathedra is a Latin phrase, meaning not "from the cathedral," but "from the chair." The phrase has religious origins. It was originally applied to decisions made by Popes from their thrones. According to Roman Catholic doctrine, a Pope speaking ex cathedra on issues of faith or morals is infallible. 

That is where we can get into trouble - our filling in the gaps is not infallible - without error or question. So be careful what you promote as Gospel truth when it is merely conjecture.

So, back to the point.  Is there a physical, emotional, or spiritual issue - a failing - that persists in your life? You just can't seem to shake it? It is a thorn in your flesh. We all of at least one - maybe more. I know I do. It is a reminder, like with Paul, God's grace is sufficient for you, for His strength is made perfect in my weakness(es). In my struggle I am reminded that all that I am that brings glory to God is from God and not me.

Some of you know that I wrote a book a couple of years ago - Where Faith Is Waiting. At the suggestion of my nephew, I had it narrated. I asked the guy that narrated the book for his honest - professional opinion of the book. He said, "it seemed that I was boasting about myself." Ugh! the point of the book was that I would boast in the Lord and His grace and mercy. To describe what the Lord had done in my life - a chief of sinners for His glory and others' good.  Although I did not agree with that guy, others did not either BTW - people who are spiritual mature and greatly used by God. But it did remind me of how easy it is to "steal" God's glory and take the credit for yourself. God works through us, but it is very easy to lose sight of that and think that it is us and not God at work.  

So to my point. We all struggle with persistent issues that would frustrate us and our walk in the Way. We cannot and should not ignore them, but we, instead, use them, like Paul, to remember; "Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: