Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Your Actions Speak A Thousand Words

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills—From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber.  Behold, He who keeps Israel Shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; The Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, Nor the moon by night." - Psalm 121:1-4

Who has been a spiritual influence in your life?  Think about it. The Psalm I quoted was my grandmother's favorite Psalm. These verses were written in the back of her Bible. I may have shared that my parents were divorced when I was 2 years old.  I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was a "sprout". I can remember that it was in their house at the dinner table where I learned to pray before meals. With seven children in my family - meals were pretty much a free for all - with no regard for thanking the Source. I still remember the prayer she taught me.

"Come Lord Jesus be our guest - let this food to us be blest, by thy hand we shall be fed.  Thank you Lord for our daily bread. Amen." The roots of that prayer are attributed to Martin Luther. Not only did she teach me the words, but we prayed before every meal. And she had me pray at times. I call that discipling with a tender hand. In the Army a method for training was "show them - do it with them - watch them do it." I see that practiced in places other than the Army.

I can remember seeing a plaque on my grandparents wall of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane. I thought it was curious. I knew Who it was but we never talked about it to my recollection. Often times being an effective witness is not so much by what you say but how you live. Not that you should not share the Gospel, but that you should demonstrate the effects of the Gospel by living by the Spirit and showing a sanctified life to a world that is struggling under the burden of sin.

I believe that my grandmother planted a spiritual seed - I could share how that influence manifested itself in my life well before I knelt next to the bed and prayed the Sinners Prayer next to and with my wife. 

"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'” - Matthew 28:18-20

That, as I am almost certain you know, is known as the Great Commission.  My grandmother was faithful to it - I want to encourage you to be as well. You don't have to be a preacher or an evangelist or a super-saint to fulfill that commission - all you have to do is teach the world by showing them Jesus in you. Pretty simple really.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: