Friday, February 25, 2022

What - Me Worried!?

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:4-7

I received a text from my niece yesterday say "The stuff happening overseas is frightening" We "chatted " for a few minutes until my thumbs got tired and then I told her I would send an email - let my other phalanges share the load! Shared some insights into the writings of Carl von Clausewitz from his book, "On War" - required reading at the Army Command and General Staff College. Also a little Russian history. But those are just facts - accurate facts, but facts all the same.  What she wanted was assurance that all will be well. 

What is happening in Eastern Europe is beyond our control - but we don't know how it will affect us.  I asked her what she thought would happen if there was no electricity on Chicago. She said, "I cannot imagine. It is so scary" I shared the verses in Philippians 4 with her.  Don't know if she read them. 

It may not be the threat of a war that you are worried about - paying your bills - catching COVID - there are plenty of opportunities to worry aren't there. Things that you cannot control - that you are victimized by. Like a drive-by shooting - you are on the sidewalk - there is no place to run or hide! All you can do is hug the sidewalk and hope for the best.

Let's focus on three words in verse 6 - "Be anxious for nothing" (well I guess that would be 4 words) That admonition does not leave much room for fear does it? Remember the disciples in the boat?

"And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, 'Lord, save us! We are perishing!' But He said to them, 'Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?' Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm." - Matthew 8:24-26

When Paul wrote that admonition to be anxious for nothing, it was a spiritual admonition. This is about having spiritual perspective - trusting God and not the world around you. (Proverbs 3:5-6) And when you do - the peace of God will rule your heart and defeat your fears. But that is a spiritual phenomenon not the result of positive thinking. The trouble is real - but how you see and respond to the trouble will determine the presence of peace. There is a song that I really like by Mercy Me, "Even If"

"I know You're able and I know You can save through the fire with Your mighty hand. But even if You don't My hope is You alone. I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt would all go away if You'd just say the word. But even if You don't my hope is You alone. You've been faithful, You've been good all of my days. Jesus, I will cling to You, come what may cause I know You're able. I know You can."

What fears are you struggling with today? Look to Jesus

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: