Monday, February 7, 2022

Our calling to Be, Do, Go

(Note: The Lord woke me up at 2:15 this morning to share this. Sound strange? Welcome to my life! I had already written my devotion for today - but when He stirs me from sleep, I must respond then. The other devotion will be for another day.)

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you" - Matthew 28:19-20

That is known as the Great Commission.  Not just a charge to His Disciples then, but a charge and a challenge to all Christians now and until He returns.  Because we are (be-ers), we are to live by faith in obedience to the Word of God (do-ers) and as we go abut our lives - no matter where life might takes us or the Lord might lead us. (go-ers)

"But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” - Acts 1:8

It does not matter where we are - we are representatives of the Creator God. As we live our lives in this world, it is sometimes hard to remember what are our priorities are to be. That we have a dual citizenship. One in the natural world and the other in the supernatural.

"For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things.  For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself." Philippians 3:18-21

Recently my mailbox as been inundated with political solicitations. Just yesterday I received a questionnaire asking me about my views on the current administration's agenda. It made me think -  about what agenda I should be most concerned about - man's or God's.  as Christians we are not purposed to be hermits - withdrawn from the world - but always, always, always representatives - ambassadors in the world. While I have opinions about worldly affairs, I also am intentional about having my devotion set on God. While I do not agree with the "apparent" moral consensus of the country in which I live - but I do live in that country. So what is my place in it?

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:27

I often quote that verse when describing our priorities in the particular work God has called us to - but there are two parts to that verse. The first part has to do with do-ing and go-ing, but the second part (often overlooked) has to do with be-ing.  Often, we find it is easier to do and go than it is the be. But be-ing is a mandatory prerequisite if our do-ing and go-ing is to have any eternal result.  If we are not careful our witness and representation of Christ to the world can be muted by our alignment and devotion to natural things. We can fall into a hypocritical existence where we proclaim the Gospel, all the while, living like those who are lost and without hope - indistinguishable from the world Jesus came to save.

Mankind - irrespective of geography, nationality, political affiliation and ethnicity - has - is - and will struggle to find peace and well-being without God. Peace and well-being that is always just out of reach. So many depend upon ideology to find it when it is only found in theology. Jesus said:

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." - John 14:27

You have much to offer the world - specifically the part of the world that you occupy - that you pass through as you live life. Be careful that you do not become so consumed by the affairs of this world that you abandon your God-given purpose to Be, to Do, and to Go. The world desperately  needs to see Jesus in you.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: