Monday, February 14, 2022

Almost Persuaded

"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich." - 2 Corinthians 8:9

"When we (finally) get where we are going is that where we thought we would be?" - Pastor Ed Young, Second Baptist Church Houston, TX

I was talking to someone the other day about a particular struggle they are having.  After a significant incident happened to them, they began talking about religion - but really about some off-the-wall topics, not about the issues of the heart. I have had many conversations like that with people over the years - lost people who know about my faith and life - who, I suppose, want to sound like they are really interested in spiritual things. I am certain that you have heard the saying, "the best defense is a good offense". They control the conversation avoiding the real point - Who do they say Jesus is and what are they going to do about it. Wanting to convince me that they are serious in an attempt to gain my trust.

So this person was looking for help to overcome their particular life struggles.  I offered solutions but with each one they had a counter as to why that would not work. They were bent on defining the "ideal" solution meaning that included things they did not want to change or accommodate.  Rejecting any aspect of the help that went against what they had decided was "right" and "true". Ultimately, I predict that they will never get the help he needs because he refuses to yield his version of truth and what is right to what IS right and what IS best to help him. Sad but common story. I learned a long time ago that when my desire for someone to better themselves exceeds that person's desire to better themselves, the difference between our desires is called frustration.  It takes spiritual change and I know that  I can't change anyone spiritually - only God can do that.

That interaction made me think of how many people are unwilling to surrender certain aspects of their lives because God wants total surrender. The don't want to relinquish control of their lives. Jesus gave up everything - even his life - so that we could have everything - eternal things.  Many people are willing to surrender some - but not all. From my own experience, I know that when I met Jesus along the way, I had to surrender everything and wanted to - even though I did not understand how I could be successful. The fact was, I could not do what I committed to by myself. It took the power of the Spirit in me and my willingness to submit to the Spirit that would allow me to be successful.

I was thinking about the song - "Almost Persuaded". Almost but lost.  It is hard to understand why someone who is starving would not accept food when it is offered - except that the sin nature is self-centered and rebellious toward God. For our old nature, it is our way or the highway. That was and is the attitude of my friend. And like I said - that won't change until they decide to yield to the conviction  the Holy Spirit brings. I cannot convince them of the rightness of spiritual truth - that will only happen the day they meet Jesus along the way and my prayer is that my friend will not choose to walk on the other side of the road into oblivion.  

"Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together." - Romans 8:12-17

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: