Monday, August 23, 2021

Flying Solo

But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” – John 16:5-7

In most Army helicopters, there are two pilots – there is always a PIC – Pilot in command and a co-pilot.  Commercial airlines call that person, the Captain.  The other pilot – the co-pilot – is given tasks to do to help the PIC safely traverse the skies.  I could always tell when the person I was flying with was used to flying by themselves in a single pilot aircraft.  The tell was that they tried to do everything on their own and I was just along for the ride.  Things can get busy in an aircraft – there is a reason that there are two seats up front.  In some aircraft there is a third seat behind the pilots for a navigator. So …. to my point!

Many, if not most of us, are living our lives as if we were flying solo. Like living the Christian life – keeping our old natures and its desires in check – is totally dependent upon our will and moral courage and strength.  The fact is that living the Christian life, successfully, is impossible if I try to live it on my own. God, the Father, sent the Holy Spirit, to be the means by which we are able to do that which is spiritual.  Perhaps you remember the bumper sticker that said “God is my co-pilot”.  Well that is close but not accurate.  God is, in fact, the PIC in the aircraft that we call our mortal life. The Spirit is His presence and enabler in our lives.  We treat the Spirit like a co-pilot – perhaps listening to His suggestions – but then choosing to do what we think is best – even when it goes against the Spirit’s leading.

“… do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” – 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

We live as if only one pilot is necessary – we live our new lives as if successful living was totally dependent upon us and our choices.  And when the Word is clear that we are to live and walk by the Spirit and not the flesh – we dismiss it. Like Adam and Eve, we want to be in charge. This is not a new problem and it is not just me or you that struggles with it. 

Do not quench the Spirit.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:19

God saw fit to include that admonishment for a reason. Got any idea what that might be?  God sent the Spirit as a help and guide – but so very often our response is “Talk to the hand!” I don’t need any help – no matter the struggle I am facing. I can do it myself – I want to do it myself – even if I fail – and then I might ask – “Where is God when I need him?” So what are you facing today – are you flying solo? Again?

“…. Trust in the Lord .. and do not lean on [trust] your own understanding … acknowledge Him in all your ways …. He will direct you.” – Proverbs 3:5-6

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: