Friday, August 13, 2021

What I Am And What I Am Not

“ ... But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles...” — Galatians 1:11-16

So that was who Paul used to be and who God called him to be. So what am I? First, I am not the Holy Spirit – neither are you.  Very often we try to be just that.  Thinking that we can change someone’s heart and their behavior or even save someone. It is important that we keep them in mind. If you think that – or try to do that – do something that is inherently spiritual by your own devices and designs you will be frustrated and disappointed. We must be aware, and accepting, of who we are and who we are not. 

“… some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, ‘We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.’ Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, ‘Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?’ Then the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, overpowered them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.” – Acts 19:13-16

My point in referencing this scripture is that there is a spiritual reality that we live in. What is accomplished by us, spiritually, is actually being accomplished through us, by the power of the Spirit of God. As Christians we all have spiritual roles and responsibilities. Counselor, Pointer to the Truth, Encourager, Ambassador for Christ – Salt and Light, Brother. You are to represent Jesus to the world around you, at your place of work or study, to your friends, to your wife, to your children, to the lost, to the saved. You are not the Holy Spirit but you are sealed by the Holy Spirit, indwelt by the Holy Spirit, lead by the Spirit, taught by the Spirit, corrected and convicted by the Spirit.  You are a sinner saved by grace who faces temptation every day and falls frequently, having trusted in your own strength and will power to overcome something that has a spiritual root. You are a cracked pot – a jar of clay, having flaws that are deep rooted, born out of the sins of others and your own. You are an adopted son or daughter. Your adoption was paid for by the blood of Jesus. It didn’t cost you anything but it cost Jesus everything. You are tempted to treat your new life with indifference – like it does not matter to you.  And perhaps most of all – you are loved with an everlasting love by the God who created you from the dust – who knew you before you were yet formed in the womb – and who has a plan for you to prosper in this life – a prosperity that has nothing to do with money and everything to do with obedience, living by faith and walking in the power of the Spirit in you.

“ …. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation…” – 2 Corinthians 5:17-18

To paraphrase a quote by John Newton that I shared yesterday – “ We are not the people we ought to be, we are not the people we wish to be, and we are not the people we hope to be, but by the grace of God, we are not the people we used to be.”

If you are not satisfied with where you are in your Christian life – good! If you are disappointed in your lack of consistency in your walk – good! In my mind, that means that the Spirit of God is at work in you. That you have a spiritual awareness.  That is not to say that you should be content in knowing that but that you should rejoice that God has not forsaken you.  I am reminded of something Paul wrote in Romans 7

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!” – Romans 7:14-25

Don’t be surprised by the struggle. Remember who you are in Christ and the life you have been called to live – the responsibilities we have been shaped to fulfill. The great salvation that is yours for eternity.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: