Monday, August 2, 2021

If Believing And Obeying The Bible Is Wrong, I Don’t Want To Be Right

“ …. There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death....” — Proverbs 14:12

I received a call the other day from a client – we are helping them with their house – but he did not want to talk about his house. Nowadays, our daughter works directly with the clients – I am the person she escalates problems to. So I was surprised when he called me to discover he did not call about his house. He asked, “What do you think about the reference to the destruction of Babylon in Jeremiah 50 and 51? Do you think that is a reference to the United States?” He wanted to know if the United States is under the judgement of God.  At the time, I was standing in the Houston Responds warehouse looking at the supplies we are using to help rebuild. I could feel the gears in my minding slipping – grinding, the sound a transmission makes when you don’t fully disengage the clutch to shift to another gear and the gears do not mesh smoothly.  It took me a moment.  What was he asking? And why was he asking me? 

I reminded him that there is no explicit reference to the United States in the Bible – most countries for that matter.  I also told him that the Bible applies to every generation – so I would imagine that his questions were asked in every generation. God’s revelation through the Bible is about Him, primarily, and His creation, to include the consequences of the Fall of Man.  It is a book about right choices, wrong choices, their consequences, and God’s intervention in the affairs of men.

I asked him if he was familiar with the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire – or the expansion and ebb of the Greek civilization – or Egypt – or Great Britain – or the Soviet Union – or … well it is a long list.  He was. There is a pattern with the rise and fall – great influence – moral decadence and then the “empire fades” into history as another rises. I told him that morally, the United Sates is a very different country than the one I was born in.  But depending upon your understanding and measure of right and wrong – that may or may not be a problem in your eyes. “There is a way that seems right …..” So what was his concern? Moral depravity or loss of prosperity? The United States has been known for some generations as the “Land of Opportunity” – (albeit not evenly distributed among the people), but still the envy of poorer countries. Even the poorest in this country seem rich by comparison to other countries.  In Haiti for example, the average wage is $2.00 (two dollars) per day.  They call the Unites States, “Money Land”.  So with the Fall comes loss of prosperity. We can’t imagine that in our generation – how could it be? In the Bible we see that there was a generation that knew God, a generation that knew about God and a generation that did not know God.  A Haitian saying is “Ti pa Ti pa” – step-by-step.  The frog in the pot. The water is coming to a boil and the people think they are at a spa.

I told him that I did not know if the reference to Babylon in Jeremiah was a prophetic reference, specifically, to the United States, no one but God does, but I could say that there are parallels to Babylon and other “empires” that seemed to have limitless power and influence.  With respect to the moral decline in this country – that is the Christian view based upon God’s revelation in the Bible and affirmation in the heart by the Holy Spirit. Those whose hearts are far from God would disagree, saying that we need to be inclusive – tolerant – and to disagree makes you a hater. You see the “best defense is a good offense” so attack those who disagree with you and declare them bad. Which is to say that you are right and good – even if you are not.

The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside, They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one.” – Psalm 14:1-3

I suggested that the man read Romans chapter 1:18-32 to get perspective on what is happening in this country. That it seems we are going the way of so many countries before us. Following the patterns of those who have abandoned or rejected God as Sovereign and have collectively gone our own may. And so long as it does not affect our pocket books – we are, collectively, ok with it. President Lyndon Johnson spoke of the silent majority. The question is, why is it silent, in a country that is rooted in democracy – an idea birthed from the Greek Empire. I think that answer is that we trust money more that God – we love money more than God – we are willing to tolerate much for the sake of protecting what we love – I am speaking of the Body of Christ as well.

I don’t know if that is what he wanted to hear – but he asked me for my thoughts. I love this country – or that tenants upon which it was founded.  Not all have been executed well.  I don’t like what I see happening, morally, in the United States, and elsewhere for that matter, but I still a part of this country. But my devotion is to my God and my Redeemer. My responsibility is to live rightly by faith and a place that may call me a hater and bad because of what I believe to be right and wrong. What people say and thing about me does not change my devotion or my thinking. I don’t judge people, that is God’s place, but I will call sin – sin when I see it. I will not pretend it is ok to get along with others – the eternal consequences for them is too great as is my responsibility to be salt and light in a dark world.  What about you?

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: