Monday, July 26, 2021

Running The Race

“… since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame….” — Hebrews 12:1-2

Have you ever run in a race? Or maybe have you ever run – as an adult or teenager? Then you know what it is like.  There was a time when I ran 5 miles a day and 10 miles on Saturday .. that time is long past. But running a distance requires stamina and it requires determination. When my body would start to hurt and my lungs struggled for air, I would start focusing on the next telephone pole – I just had a thought that they are probably not called that anymore. Most often I ran by myself – but there were times when I would run with a buddy. During those times we would encourage and challenge each other – when we felt like we need to stop and walk a while or maybe call it a day!

When I was in the Army we had to take PT tests – Physical Training tests – sometimes several times a year. PT tests were something you had to pass or suffer the consequences – up to being asked to leave the service.  I recall one test in particular while attending the Armor (tanks) Officer Basic Course as a second lieutenant. It was right after graduation from college and my commissioning as an officer in the Army.  As part of the course, we had to take a PT test (several actually). There were four parts to the test, one of which was the 2 mile run.  One of the guys I had been in ROTC with at the University of Florida was in the same class with me. He had always been a little on the “pudgy” side – pudgy by Army standards – always bumping the maximum weight for his height.  As we ran the quarter mile track, I ran past him as he started walking.  I turned around and started encouraging him to keep moving.  Just a couple more laps to go.  The evaluators were calling to me to keep running and leave him.  I stayed with him until he started running again – albeit slowly – but running.  I finished the run within the allotted time, but my overall score was affected – passing but not as high as it could be.  So why share this with you? Not so you think me a martyr but to make a point.

“…. encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Two points to be made.  First – We are told to encourage one another because, from time to time, we need to be encouraged.  To come along others when they are facing difficult times. To “bear one another’s burdens” (Galatians 6:2) Second – when you do the first, it may come at a cost to you.  You may need to set your agenda aside for the sake of someone else, “to lay down you life for a friend” (John 15:13).  What I am talking about is walking out your faith and loving others more than your own interests.  All of us have opportunities to do that – every day.

By the way, sometime later, that same friend went on to flight school to become an Army Aviator, just like I did. I don’t take credit for that, certainly, but I do think that God used me in my friend’s life at a particular moment to encourage him to press on. Just like He wants to use you.

Think about it – Pray about it – Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone


No comments: