Monday, July 12, 2021

Is Jesus Really The Lord Of Your Life?

But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.” — Luke 6:46-49

I was talking with a friend the other day. Another Christian. A man that I had high regard for with respect to his faith. He is successful both in the eyes of the world and other Christians. And yet, he shared with me that his faith was shallow. That was a spiritual realization that came upon him.  A revelation brought to his mind and spirit through circumstances and the Spirit of God.  I take you back, once again, to Dr. Henry Blackaby who said, “God speaks by the Spirit through prayer, the Word, other Christians and circumstances.” You could say that God spoke to my friend. Has He ever spoken to you? I suspect so, but perhaps you were not listening or wanting to hear the Truth. It is a common problem for Christians.

Jesus challenged His followers, asking why they verbally acknowledged Him as Lord and yet lived their lives that were not consistent with the faith and devotion they expressed.

These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.” —Matthew 15:8-9

This is the defining question we must all face and answer (but will likely ignore) – every day – “Who is the Lord of my life – Really?”  Who defines what I do, how I speak, what you think, how I treat other people? It is in our nature to find something to worship – to put our confidence in – to submit to. Whatever that is will be your lord – your god. It might be God the Father– or Jesus the Son – but, then again, it might be YOU, or money, or acceptance from other people – perhaps possession. My friend came face to face with the Truth of his choices and was brought to his knees, humbly before God.

We were saved to a new life. God wants to be at the center of our reality – not just given a seat on the sidelines. Who we are in Christ should define us not just label us. I have had people say of me, “Charley is the real deal.” Referring to who they thought that I am or was by observation. Words like that are certainly affirming, but it causes me to ask myself if it was deserved. People can see our outside but not our hearts. You never know when someone’s heart is far from God, even though they have a reputation that would suggest otherwise. Like the “Song of the Sirens” Christians are lured to the “rocks of life” every day. I know that I have feet of clay – so do you. Like my friend – we all struggle with our walk of faith. The fact that there is a struggle is proof of our spiritual nature. Like we would say in the Army – you need to keep your head on a swivel.  Be alert. The temptation to misplace your devotion is constant and insidious.

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” – Proverbs 4:23

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: