Monday, July 19, 2021

Finding Your True Identity

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me….. — Galatians 2:20

I have written about our new identity on a number of occasions.  I think that understanding who we are as Christians and what that means with respect to how we live our day-to-day lives is critical and essential if we are to fulfill our purpose.  Imagine that I wanted to be a pilot (which I am). I researched everything about aviation and the science behind flight. I went to schools to learn how to fly and earned my pilot’s license. Perhaps even bought an airplane, but then I never flew again. Oh – I would carefully maintain the airplane – perhaps taxied around the airfield from time to time. I could claim to be a pilot – I was – in fact but not in deed. To fulfill the purpose of being a pilot, I had to leave the ground and take to the skies. Being a pilot became something I did, not who I was. (Hmmm – starting to sound a lot like me!)

To identify with Christ – to identify as a Christian – means that I must not only study about faith – go to “school” or church – place my faith in Jesus – be baptized – but, I have to take to the skies. I must not just “Be” but “Do”. Most, if not all, who read this will agree with me, in principle.  I have not said anything to this point for which I will not get a “Yes” and “Amen”.  

Now the next day, when they had come out from Bethany, He [Jesus] was hungry. And seeing from afar a fig tree having leaves, He went to see if perhaps He would find something on it. When He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. In response Jesus said to it, ‘Let no one eat fruit from you ever again.’” – Mark 11:12-14

So what does a fig tree have to do with this?  We are to bear fruit in season and out of season (2 Timothy 4:2) With respect to the fig tree – it wasn’t just anyone who came to the fig tree – it was the One who was in the Beginning – the one by which everything that was made was made (John 1:3) The same One through Whom we have life.

And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” – 1 John 5:11-12

So finally to the point of all of this! If we are to identify with Christ and bear fruit – then we are to identify with other Christians as well. We should not make distinctions between Christians based upon nationality, race, ethnic origin (if you believe the Bible is true, at the root of all humanity’s natural DNA is Adam), economics, or geography. It must be based solely on our faith.

“‘I [Jesus] do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.” – John 17:20-23

We must not only identify with Christ, but with each other. We are to be “one” that the “world may believe the You [the Father] sent Me [the Son]”. Do you see the gravity of division in the Body? Division caused by our flesh – it is no-wise spiritual. That anything less than unity in the Body is sin. If you have confessed have indeed been saved.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, ‘Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.’ For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” – Romans 10:10-13

Think about it – Pray about it - Believe it – Walk in it. Let your light shine and give God the glory.

By Faith Alone By His Grace Alone And For His Glory Alone

No comments: